• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Haller movement striking problem

pigsy10

Sep 3, 2020
Wales, UK
Country
Hi all
I wonder if someone can help me with a striking problem on a Haller movement.

The clock keeps time well and strikes as it should the hours and the half hour.
Except that at 1 o'clock it strikes 13 times.

I have removed the rack hook and snail and cleaned them and turned the snail one notch either way and it still strikes 13 times at 1 o'clock.

I attach photo of the movement and appreciate any help, thanks.

10.jpg 11.jpg

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
What about the rack, was that cleaned? Does it move easily with no sticking if you move the rack hook out of the way? I might have to see a video posted here from youtube. Let it strike at 12 then move the minute hand to 1:00 so that we can see. I don't think that I could do any repair with it that dirty.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It should never be able to strike 13 times, so I'm thinking that the rack tail has moved on you. It is friction fit and adjustable. Set the snail in the 12:00 position and manually release the rack. If it strikes 13 times, move the rack tail a little further away from the rack and test it again. When it strikes 12, move the minute hand around and test all of the other positions to be sure they strike correctly too.

Reactions: pigsy10

pigsy10

Sep 3, 2020
Wales, UK
Country
It should never be able to strike 13 times, so I'm thinking that the rack tail has moved on you. It is friction fit and adjustable. Set the snail in the 12:00 position and manually release the rack. If it strikes 13 times, move the rack tail a little further away from the rack and test it again. When it strikes 12, move the minute hand around and test all of the other positions to be sure they strike correctly too.
Thanks for your advice.
You are right. A combination of adjustments to the rack rail and the snail should solve the problem.

disciple_dan

Blackwell Clock Award
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
It should never be able to strike 13 times
I was trying to imagine how it could strike 13 times and thinking if that were the case, as Shutterbug suggests, it would most likely strike twice at 1:00 and 3 times at 2:00 and so forth. But you say it strikes 13 times at 1:00, that's puzzling. So, as Shutterbug says it must be the rack tail is out of adjustment. It could be slipping off of the snail and falling a little low also but it would probably get stuck there. Just a thought, Danny

pigsy10

Sep 3, 2020
Wales, UK
Country
I was trying to imagine how it could strike 13 times and thinking if that were the case, as Shutterbug suggests, it would most likely strike twice at 1:00 and 3 times at 2:00 and so forth. But you say it strikes 13 times at 1:00, that's puzzling. So, as Shutterbug says it must be the rack tail is out of adjustment. It could be slipping off of the snail and falling a little low also but it would probably get stuck there. Just a thought, Danny
As you say the clock was striking 13 times at 1 oclock and twice at 2 oclock so forth.
Slight adjustment of the rack tail via the friction joint seems to have it fixed.
The rack tail seems very sensitive to slight adjustment on this movement.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You might be able to tighten it up a little with a punch. If it's too loose, just falling against the snail multiple times will move it.

pigsy10

Sep 3, 2020
Wales, UK
Country
Thaks, will do

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members