Haller 190.66 12CM Movement

Mr Upcycle

Jun 20, 2022
Country
Hi All, hope someone may be able to help me out.

I have an Haller movement which I was about to give a full service.

When this was removed from the clock for inspection I found on the front plate a spring bar was floating around between the different drops for the chimes and strike lever/flirt's and could not see where this would have been attached.

The spring has a hook on the one end which I assume is to be positioned against one of the lever bars but cannot see anywhere this would be held in place.

I have looked at a number of Haller movements on line identical in design to this particular movements, but cannot see any indication of a spring being fitted or the location for this spring.

Apart from the issue with the spring the movement is in good overall shape.

Any help to confirm where this should go would be most welcome.

P6204012.JPG P6204011.JPG P6204010.JPG

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I’ve worked on several Haller chimers and have never come across a piece like that. I would be inclined to think it someone’s attempt to make the movement do something is was not designed to do. But others may recognize it, so please wait for them to see your post.

Reactions: Mr Upcycle

Mr Upcycle

Jun 20, 2022
Country
Hi All, hope someone may be able to help me out.

I have an Haller movement which I was about to give a full service.

When this was removed from the clock for inspection I found on the front plate a spring bar was floating around between the different drops for the chimes and strike lever/flirt's and could not see where this would have been attached.

The spring has a hook on the one end which I assume is to be positioned against one of the lever bars but cannot see anywhere this would be held in place.

I have looked at a number of Haller movements on line identical in design to this particular movements, but cannot see any indication of a spring being fitted or the location for this spring.

Apart from the issue with the spring the movement is in good overall shape.

Any help to confirm where this should go would be most welcome.

View attachment 713699 View attachment 713700 View attachment 713701
I’ve worked on several Haller chimers and have never come across a piece like that. I would be inclined to think it someone’s attempt to make the movement do something is was not designed to do. But others may recognize it, so please wait for them to see your post.
Hi Tracerjack, thank you for your comments.
I was off the same opinion myself. from what I was able to see from looking at other examples. But was not sure if this may be a newer version with the addition of this spring. if it was to go in the movement, it could only really hook under a couple of the levers, but it would only then somehow rest against a pin/Spindale, which does not seem quite right.

It will be interesting to find out, if this is actually a new addition to movement design as I am in the dark on this.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I would be inclined to clean the movement and see if it would perform properly without it. The bends in the wire don’t look factory precise. I’ve also seen some really crazy additions to movements from people trying to compensate for the movements lack of performance rather than doing things the approved way. And rather often too, so it would not surprise me at all if that wire was one of those attempts.

Mr Upcycle

Jun 20, 2022
Country
I would be inclined to clean the movement and see if it would perform properly without it. The bends in the wire don’t look factory precise. I’ve also seen some really crazy additions to movements from people trying to compensate for the movements lack of performance rather than doing things the approved way. And rather often too, so it would not surprise me at all if that wire was one of those attempts.
Hi Tracerjack and thanks again for your comments. My plan was to see how it all worked without this additional spring and to see if it made any difference. The only issue we now have is the strike barrel spring has just broken at the winding arbor end and despite by best two attempts at doing a spring repair heating the spring and cutting a new hole each time I end up with it cracking. I think if this was at the other end we would not have had an issue. So it looks like I now need to source a new replacement spring.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I don’t even try to repair breaks in the mainspring at the arbor. I know some do and consider it a 50/50 chance at success. Sourcing a new spring shouldn’t be too difficult. The new one probably won’t be exact, but in my experience, one that is close has not caused any problems.. I think Cousins is the place to go for clock parts in the UK.

Mr Upcycle

Jun 20, 2022
Country
I don’t even try to repair breaks in the mainspring at the arbor. I know some do and consider it a 50/50 chance at success. Sourcing a new spring shouldn’t be too difficult. The new one probably won’t be exact, but in my experience, one that is close has not caused any problems.. I think Cousins is the place to go for clock parts in the UK.
Hi Tracerjack, thanks again for your comments and suggestions. I would agree with you trying to repair the front end of the spring may be 50/50 and so far i have had 2 100% failures. Both repairs looked as good as new but the problem was getting the spring to turn around the arbor. Checking on YouTube for any repair tips I could not find any trying to do a front repair, which I think we now know the reason why. I will have a look for a replacement spring as you suggested. On my barrel there was no other markings inside or out to give an idea of the spring to use,

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I believe there is a way to calculate the spring by the measurements of the barrel, but I don’t have a link to anything specific. You might try a search with, “ calculating spring size from barrel”. Is there some reason why you can’t use the measurements of the spring you have? I use a cloth measuring tape and wind into the coils to get the length. Width can be done with a ruler. For thickness you need calipers. Again, close in strength usually causes no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kev32w
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-