Half Hour Strike

Kim St.Dennis Sr.

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles
Country
Region
I have a few T&S wall & mantel clocks that just strike the hour. Does any one have an idea when they started using the half hour strike feature? All of these clock, Ansonia, Atkins, EN Welch & Waterbury, have movements that are mounted with wooden blocks. As far as I understand it, the use of wooden mount blocks was discontinued some time in the 1880's. I have an 1874 (from a dated Jewelers label on the inside) Ansonia T&S Mantel Clock that is hour strike only. You would think that someone would have patent the hour and half hour count wheel. I am trying to get a better idea of when the were made.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Kim,

Interesting question.

I have worked on many Japanese clocks, both wall and mantel (c.1900-1910) that have hour strike only. Some Seth Thomas double-dial calendar clocks strike on a bell on the hour only. I have a New Haven Anglo- American wall clock that strikes only on the hour (bell). Many old American mantle clocks have hour-only count wheels, but ring a bell or gong on the half-hour by a trip lever connected to the main arbour. I worked on an old Korean mantle clock recently with a strike-only movement. Some weight-driven English/Scottish grandfather clocks I have seen strike only on the hour on a large bell mounted on top of the clock. As I think about it, I have seen hour and half-hour strike clocks that were made throughout the 19th and twentieth centuries.

I, also, would like to know if anyone has any definate information on this.

Will

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Kim,

I would call it a transition, started around 1875, fairly complete by 1900.

Like many clock questions, answer has to be general, not definite.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think some clarification of the question would help. Are we talking 1/2 hour on the countwheel only, or including passing strike as well?

Kim St.Dennis Sr.

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles
Country
Region
I am asking about count wheel T&S American clocks, not the passing bell strikes like Gilbert and others used. It just seem to me that clocks with a hour only strike seem to be older.
In the last few years I have picked up a Brewster Manufacturing (1852 to 1854) T&S shelf clock, an early JC Brown (1850's) T&S shelf clock and a early Waterbury XX Drop T&S wall clock. All of the movements were pinned and mounted to the cases with wooden blocks and had hour only count wheel strikes. I began to wonder when these features were phased out. I can't remember seeing a post 1880 T&S America count wheel movement that didn't have the half hour strike feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam P
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre