Half hour strike

Copperdragon3

Aug 20, 2020
Country
Does anyone know what year clockmakers started adding the half hour strike to mantle clocks? I bought an EN Welch "Hatton" model clock and it only strikes the hour.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Every two train striking American clock I've seen from the late 19th century onward had a half hour strike. It was often incorporated as a passing strike on a bell as to be more distinct from the hour strike gong. When chime rods took off in the 1920's you sometimes had the half hour struck on one rod, the hours being a two rods ding-dong strike.
The passing strikes don't incorporate the strike train, the time train just lifts one hammer on its own.

Last edited:

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Does anyone know what year clockmakers started adding the half hour strike to mantle clocks? I bought an EN Welch "Hatton" model clock and it only strikes the hour.
It was probably sometime in the 1300s that clocks would have first had half hour strike. But that would gave been on public clocks. Half hour strike on mantle clocks would have had to wait for the invention of the mantle clock, which probably dates to he 1660s or so, when the pendulum was introduced.

Copperdragon3

Aug 20, 2020
Country
So I'm guessing that clockmakers here in the U.S. offered both half hour strike and hour only strike on their clock selection.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
An 1882 advertisement for the 'Hatton' promotes it as an eight day strike and alarm. This was made earlier than most American time/strike clocks I've personally seen, which go from the 1890's onward. As noted above, the half hour strike was usually done in passing and did not use the strike train.

Some of the fancier American movements did use the strike train for half hour striking. :Party: Take a gander at this dainty little Seth Thomas:

Copperdragon3

Aug 20, 2020
Country
That is a sweet little clock! Do you know what year the Hatton model was first introduced?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
There is no 'one answer'. This happened over a lot of years. I guess you could gather a lot of opinions, throw out the highest and lowest number and average the rest. This would give you a single number answer. :) Willie X

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
American, British, French, German/Austrian and Swiss all seem to have added this from around the mid to late 1800’s. It seems to me the European continent started first with the American and British following.
Cheers,
James

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
American, British, French, German/Austrian and Swiss all seem to have added this from around the mid to late 1800’s. It seems to me the European continent started first with the American and British following.
Cheers,
James
It's on my English 1700 longcase with internal rack and two bells, one for the half hour passing strike. It goes way back before the 1800s as Zedric says.

It's on one of my English 1690s longcase too on the main bell but that was probably added later.

I would think it must have existed as long as there have been domestic clocks.

Reactions: Jmeechie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacey_AEH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre