hairspring reference

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by David M., Mar 17, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David M.

David M. Guest

Is anyone aware of a good reference for helping with problems related to hairsprings in shelf/mantle clocks. I always tend to do more harm than good with just seemingly simple adjustments to hairsprings.

Thanks
    David

2. David M.

David M. Guest

Is anyone aware of a good reference for helping with problems related to hairsprings in shelf/mantle clocks. I always tend to do more harm than good with just seemingly simple adjustments to hairsprings.

Thanks
    David

3. gary G

gary G Registered User

Jan 22, 2003
    Hello David:
    I am interested in this topic. Most of the books I have read including Practical watch repair (Decarle), Watch Repairers manual(Henry B Fried), who mentions hairsprings are the biggest discouragement in learning watch repair.

They briefly cover the subject in my opinion. stating that it requires a lot of practice. As far as salvaging a damaged hairspring comments are to replace it. I would be very interested in a book or articles on this subject. I agree practice is the best way to learn but I am sure someone has written specifically on this subject.

I have just started to look at the watch message board. I find it interesting there is not a board for watch repair. Like the board specifically for clock repair.

regards,
    gary G

4. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One reference which is fairly easily available with a lot on hairspringing is Bench Practices for Watch and CLock Makers.

There are several 1970's era reprints on Hairspringing and Timing manipulations.

Freid devotes a lot to untangling of hairspringing.

Some of the schools made their students spend a lot of time in this and one watchmake I know told me a guy in his shop can untangle anything in about a minute.

I recently got into tangle hairspring trouble and gave it to a pro.

Bottom line you need to read and practice. Freid gives a lot of pointers but it is mostly coaching. Reading up on this subject to get out of trouble is probably not going to work. reading about it to learn as part of developing skills and having time to damage and restore hairsprings will work and probably pay. If you are willing to do this you will be able to salvage valuable time and items.

In my case I did not have the time to learn and by the time I had the hang of it I would have ruined a part for a very fine watch.

Dr. Jon

6. David M.

David M. Guest

:) Thanks to all of you for your comments.

David M.

7. gary G

gary G Registered User

Jan 22, 2003
    Dr Jon:
    I read mention of the (Bench Practice) by Fried having information on untangling hairsprings. I have ordered the book. I am sure this subject has been discussed in depth at some point on this board. Since the Archive is very recent. It leaves few options of re-discussing the same issues.

I appreciate your input. It does appear hairspring work is quite challenging. I have found another interesting little book. It is called Modern Methods In Horology by Grant Hood. The copyright is 1949. It has a lot of good information on hairspring adjusting, replacing, and many other educational items in regard to watches.

Best,
    Gary G