• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Haddon Golden Vision Replacement Motor

steve102

Sep 23, 2009
I need to obtain a replacement motor for a Haddon Golden Vision Model 70 clock. The existing motor has no identification marks but it looks like standard synchron type motor. Do you know what is the required RPM of the output shaft on the motor?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The existing motor should have that information printed on it somewhere. I assume the motor does not operate the minute hand directly, so you could count the teeth of the wheels and determine the rpm mathematically.
If you supply that info, or at least some pic's we can help you sort it out :)

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Steve, welcome to the message board. Shutterbug is right, the needed information will be on the motor (voltage, rpm's, direction it turns).
Timesavers carries parts for these clocks: www.timesavers.com
I am going to move this thread down to the electric clocks forum for better exposure.

steve102

Sep 23, 2009
Harold & Shutterbug,
Thank you for your replies and I've attached some pictures of the motor.
The markings on the top cover are:
125V 60 CYC
2.5W
WB 730
10-53
(UL)
E-22587
I looked on the Timesavers website but the only spares I could find were for the Jefferson Golden Hour, not the Haddon.
Ideally I would like to obtain a 220V 50HZ replacement motor so that the clock will work in the UK.

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Steve, you should try Meadows and Passmore, or Cousins, in the UK. Timesavers, or any American suppliers won't have your voltage or cycles per second. I believe your motor was made in October 1953, which probably also dates your clock. Look on our sticky of suppliers on top of the Clock Repair forum for supplier information.

coldwar

May 20, 2009
www.hoagsclockshop.com
Country
I hope I can offer some information which might help. This is a International Register motor assy. If you can coax it in to temporary operation, this will allow you to determine rpm at the shaft, and direction of rotation. Newer motors were made and sold under the Intermatic name, and have a different mounting configuration. These use a adapter plate which affixes like the original motor with two screws, and then the replacement motor affixes to plate in proper location for needed gear mesh. You might need to transfer the gear from your old motor to new. If the supply houses can't get you in to what you need on this basis, let me know, I still have a pretty big old stock of Intermatic motors.

Don't rule out repair of your existing motor. They are easy to service once you get over the fear of opening the gear case. Sometimes both brass bushings on the output shaft wear, easy to replace. Use 'Solder-Wick' to remove the solder around base -

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062744&CAWELAID=107594598

CW

steve102

Sep 23, 2009
I managed to get the motor working and at 110 V 50 Hz it rotates 5/6 RPM CW which corresponds with 1 RPM at 60 Hz according to my calculations.

I've sourced a 50 Hz 500 RPM CW motor and 1:500 gearbox combination to give the required 1 RPM drive. For safety reasons I decided to go for a low volatge 12V motor with a separate mains powder adaptor.

I'll keep you posted on progress.

steve102

Sep 23, 2009
The clock is now running and keeping good time. I fitted a Saia UDS1 12v motor with UDG 500:1 gearbox which has the same dimensions as the original motor. The only issue is the motor runs very hot although I did read in other threads that this is normal for some clock motors.

The clock is missing it's baseplate so I wondered if anyone else with a Haddon Golden Vision Model 70 would be king enough to post a scaned image of the underside so I can make a replacement.

david1k

May 10, 2014
Steve, I also need the same motor for my Haddon Golden Vision Model 70 Clock. Do you know where I can find one?