HAC Wall Clock Levers

Nicko

May 11, 2007
Australia
Country
Region
I have have some basic dumb questions.

I have just finished repairing an HAC Wall clock. On the back there are two steel levers, one for chime and one for strike. I don't understand what they do. If they are moved to lock the chime or strike hammers, the hammers are locked in the rest position, and if left there, the mechanism will try to force them to operate. Not good. So what is the purpose and the correct operation of these?

At the front there is another lever, is that the chime silence lever, or chime advance?

Screwed to the back of the case there is a stabilising rod that is supposed to engage with a link fitted underneath one of the movement pillar screws. This doesn't line up with the rod. Does that mean the movement needs to be moved to the left until it does.

Cheers
Greg

Attachments

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
I think the levers on the back are for holding the hammers in place during shipment and were moved out of the way once the clock was sold and set-up.

The lever on the front is for tripping the strike. It's probably a holdover from when there was one clock in the house and the owner could run a string to his/her bed so that if they awoke during the night they could trip the strike and find out roughly what time it was (within the hour). I've seen similar levers on count-wheel movements that make it easy to sync the strike, but with a rack and snail that wouldn't make much sense.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think the levers on the back are for holding the hammers in place during shipment and were moved out of the way once the clock was sold and set-up.

The lever on the front is for tripping the strike. It's probably a holdover from when there was one clock in the house and the owner could run a string to his/her bed so that if they awoke during the night they could trip the strike and find out roughly what time it was (within the hour). I've seen similar levers on count-wheel movements that make it easy to sync the strike, but with a rack and snail that wouldn't make much sense.
Hmmm. A manual repeater! Yeah, that's probably what it's for :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoseM.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-