HAC clock needs id

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by blueloon, Apr 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    retired, but busier than ever
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just cleaned this clock for some friends and would like to be able to give them some information about it, as in how old it is, what the model name is, etc.

HAC.jpg HAC logo.jpg HAC movement front.jpg HAC movement back.jpg

I cleaned and repaired the case -- the top was broken off and the case was almost black. The 3 pieces of glass in the bottom of the door are beveled. Someone cleaned the dial a little too vigorously at one time and drew some of the numbers back on with a marker between the 7 and 10 (I left that alone). These movement pictures are before cleaning, by the way.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. AlHibbert

AlHibbert New Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Country Flag:
    did you ever find out the mfg of the clock.. doing the same works in an older case. do not know the mfg
    Al

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    As the original poster says in his headline, this is a clock made by HAC (Hamburg American Clock Co., which was neither in Hamburg nor America!). This German company had the crossed arrows seen in the second photo as one of its logos.

JTD

4. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can't help with a model name but perhaps someone with HAC catalogues may find it. These German box clocks, of which this is an attractive looking one, were typically made in the early part of the 20th C.

5. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    retired, but busier than ever
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 blueloon, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks for your replies. It is indeed a Hamburg American Clock. I have one myself -- a tambour style -- with the crossed arrow logo. I forgot to add that there was a partial tag on the back with 269 on it. May have had other numbers also, but it was torn. Maybe that will help with identification if someone has HAC catalogues. Thanks again.

HAC cleaning.jpg

I thought I'd add a picture of the amount of dirt/soot, etc. that I cleaned from the case. It turned out better than I expected it would.