H. Welton & Co. Terrysville, Conn.

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by ClocksCollector, Feb 27, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ClocksCollector

ClocksCollector Registered User

Aug 14, 2005
    My latest acquisition is a walnut clock made by H. Welton & Co. I now need to make a few parts for the top, find a period wood dial and have a tablet painted (or use an old wavy mirror). The clock needs a top piece but I have no idea what shape it should be. Does anyone have a similar clock or a description of it? Any information would be greatly appreciated. 85553.jpg 85554.jpg

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Those flat pilasters are an interesting feature....

RM

3. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe the wood is mahogany, not walnut.

4. ClocksCollector

Aug 14, 2005
    With all due respect Jeremy, the case is definately walnut (other walnut clocks to compare with). I suppose this makes the clock a little more unusual given that its an early wood movement, cases of which were usually mahogany?

5. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Walnut is certainly unusual for a case of this type and period.

6. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah, Mr. Welton, a little known, but pivotal figure in the transition period between wood movements and brass. Attached are a couple of photos of a Welton half column and splat that I sold several years ago. More or less a conventional splat...

When Hiram purchased E. Terry Jnr.'s shop, he inherited several miniature half column cases, with interestingly painted and stenciled cases. While Terry installed short drop time & strike movements in these, Hiram developed a neat time and alarm movement (two versions, actually) and so produced miniature timepieces, with alarms. These are quite hard to find, and have gotten pricey. I've included a picture of one from my collection, for reference and comparison purposes. Note that the case is grain painted, then stenciled here and there, including the splat and plinths. I've seen maybe 5 of these over the years, and each is decorated differently- all feature smoke decorated half columns (done by holding the work over a burning candle). One I know of has smoke decorated sides, most others have grained sides. They are very beautiful little timepieces, and I feel privileged to own one. Mine unfortunately has an old mirror replacing the original reverse painted tablet, but otherwise it is in excellent condition.

I haven't had this for too long, so I think I'll post it in "New Acquisitions". Maybe another one or two will come out of the wood work (pun intended). 85681.jpg 85682.jpg 85685.jpg 85686.jpg

7. ClocksCollector

Aug 14, 2005
    Thanks for the info Mr. Nunes. As shown in the photo my Welton is a "flat front" and didn't have half columns. Do you think the splat would have looked like the decorated one on yours?

8. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suspect it would have had a very similar profile, but I doubt that it would have been stenciled, rather veneered with mahogany or walnut or whatever the rest of the case features.