• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

H.Samuel Quartz Anniversary Clock

diver7325

Mar 4, 2016
Shelbyville, IN
Country
I had a customer bring me a H.Samuel Quartz Anniversary Clock to repair. It is a battery powered clock and has Hermle 977 on the back of the movement...I am looking for a replacement movement since this one no longer works. I have searched the Internet and am not able to locate any information about a replacement movement. Does anyone know if this movement is still available or is my customer out of luck?

Any help would be great!! Thanks in advance!

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
The company this was bought from, H.Samuel, is a large jewellery chain in the UK - http://www.hsamuel.co.uk - it is a long shot, but they might be able to help if this was a relatively recent purchase and you know the model number.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
If the problem goes any deeper than cleaning the battery contacts, and a new battery, I tell the customer that they are out of luck, as there are no replacement movements any more for these.

diver7325

Mar 4, 2016
Shelbyville, IN
Country
I was afraid of not finding a replacement...the battery is good and the clock actually ticks but the part of the movement that controls the spinning balls does not work...I might take it apart and see if it's a worn gear but I think the customer is just out of luck...thank you for the information!

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I was afraid of not finding a replacement...the battery is good and the clock actually ticks but the part of the movement that controls the spinning balls does not work...I might take it apart and see if it's a worn gear but I think the customer is just out of luck...thank you for the information!
Some of these use a separate motor and battery for the spinning pendulum--that is, the motor and battery and gearing for the pendulum all live in a separate plastic box in the base of the clock.

Others use a separate motor contained in the same housing as the time movement itself. The stepper motor that moves the hands is not used to rotate the pendulum; there's always a separate motor or electromagnet for that purpose, and generally a second battery.

I have found that when battery corrosion (clean it up with vinegar) is not the cause of failure in these, the next best possibility is loss of lubrication in a plastic bearing, or a jam caused by other damage--maybe even the plastic frame warping with age. Any bearing should be absolutely free to rotate, for there's just about zero power available in these.

It also might be a good idea to look at Timesavers.com or another supplier to see if you could adapt one of these bogus pendulum movements:

400-Day Rotary Quartz Movement

They also have a cheaper one that comes with a crystal-ball-equipped pendulum that's even uglier than the one shown here, but you should be able to adapt the customer's original pendulum. You'll note from the pricing that Timesavers sells a great many of these bogus 400-day pendulums.

So don't give up just yet. These things ain't Vienna regulators, but they almost always have considerable sentimental value and customers are always grateful if you can repair them.

Mark Kinsler

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Adding to what was opined above, be sure to look for additional battery holders. Often these clocks have separate batteries for the clock and pendulum.

diver7325

Mar 4, 2016
Shelbyville, IN
Country
**UPDATE**

I took the Suspension Unit off and then took the battery movement out...everything worked fine on the movement so I turned my attention to the Suspension Unit. It had been broken (wire had come off the hanger) and had been soldered back together...ordered a new Unit from Timesavers, installed it, and it is running perfectly!

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-