H. Samuel/Manchester

roosterscn

Dec 2, 2008
I am attempting to find any info on this watch. I was told it was an antique and it is a beautiful watch but now am finding that I can't find much online about this watch to identify possible age. Any help would be much appreciated.

92.jpg 93.jpg 94.jpg 95.jpg

roosterscn

Dec 2, 2008
Also wanted to add this pic of dust cover that is removed to see movement and make note of the obvious-this is a key wind movement.
96.jpg

Jerry Matthews

Sep 20, 2005
Sussex, England
Country
Region
H Samuel of Market Street, Manchester was mainly a retailer and importer in the late 19th--early 20th centuries. Most of the watches he sold were Swiss imports or made by English makers like Lancashire or Rotherhams. I don't think he (or the business) actually made watches.

Both the movement and the case were made in Switzerland. The hallmark is for Swiss .800 silver (compared with .925 sterling standard). It is a nice looking watch and appears to be in good condition. We aren't supposed to discuss values on this board, but I would think the price you paid for it was reasonable.

The watch is rather small in size and ornately decorated. It could, therefore, be a lady's watch.

Age? I can't say for certain, but I think sometime in the 1890s to possibly 1905 or thereabouts.

roosterscn

Dec 2, 2008
I would never mention cost but price is not a question with this watch as I think it has finally found a home here. I was just trying to get some info for my records. This is the first info I found on the history of the company and it comes from the H. Samuel site itself at this link:

http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/static/about/history.do

Found it interesting that the H stands for Harriet-I guess back then, a woman's name on the company wouldn't work. Just gonna keep digging to find out a little more but thanks again.

MikeC

Aug 14, 2005
Montreal
time.currangroup.net
Country
I have 2 very similar watches. They are signed Consti Mathey and the hallmarks place these Ca. 1883. I love the dials. I haven't found out much on the watch maker.

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

While the the center of the dial of the second watch has it's silver & gold on the outside edge of the dial, the back on the second watch is identical to the first.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicobirdie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent