• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

H.O. Perret

paul04tj

Nov 23, 2012
This one has me stumped.
It was also my Great Grandfathers, based on Great Grandma's picture inside.
H.O. Perret, I have seen a few posts about them but can't find any information, age, value nothing.
This is pretty worn out, but a family piece none-the-less.
There is an argent stamp showing from the edge of the picture. under the picture is the outline of the eye that I have seen in other pictures saying Warranted coin silver. No markings on the face. Key wind, key set.

Questions, comments, ideas?

Attachments

Squite

Jun 26, 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
Country
Region
Hi again!

That "Argent" mark is the Swiss chevron neuchatel, which I understand was used some time before they adopted the standard "animal" type marks in 1882 (the Grouse, Standing Bear, etc.). The "Warranted Coin Silver" mark would be great to see in a photo, but I'm pretty sure whichever mark it is it's probably American in origin, a sign that the case was made in Switzerland and imported to America.

The movement is Swiss, too, of course, but the fact that the adjustment index is in English (as is the 'straight line' inscription on the cuvette) also leads me to believe it was made for export. The movement isn't marked "Swiss Made" on it, just Geneva, which is another tell of its age - if it had been made for export to the US after 1885 it would have had to have been marked 'Swiss Made". It looks to be of pretty good quality - a lot of Perret-marked movements can be found at auctions in solid gold cases.

The style of regulator and possible "wolf's teeth" on the winding wheel are both indicators of a better made watch (I say 'possible' because I'm not really versed in the finer points of the better movements, basically because I've never been fortunate enough to own one as of yet). I'm going to go out on a pretty safe limb and say it was probably Swiss made and cased for the American market some time in the 1850-1880 date range.

Hope some of this is of help, and I'm not too far off (I'm usually fairly reliable :D).

Last edited:

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
That "Argent" mark is the Swiss chevron neuchatel, which I understand was used some time before they adopted the standard "animal" type marks in 1882 (the Grouse, Standing Bear, etc.).
I have always understood the Neuchatel chevron to be an assay mark for specifically 18 carat gold, not silver :confused:

Squite

Jun 26, 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
Country
Region
It is my understanding there is also a silver version with "argent" around it, like the one shown above, and here:

KWnd5_Open1.jpg
Here's another mention of the explanation of the 'argent' chevron...and other photos (which I won't post without permission, but it's the same mark being discussed as the one I have on my case and the one on the OPs case).

If you just google and image search "silver hallmark argent chevron" you'll see loads of photos of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mishellmcgee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-