• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

H & O Perret Geneva

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
I recently acquired this Swiss made pocket watch. Two features attracted me, first the condition of the coin silver case which is much better than I have seen in the past, most are well worn down just leaving a hint of the original design. The case has the Neuchatel hallmark. The second feature is the KW/KS movement, not your usual mid-19th century Swiss Lepine style bar movement, but one closely resembling a Jules Jurgensen. You can't see it in the picture as the watch started to tick as I was taking photos, but the balance is bi-metallic. However it is not cut all the way through. Also there are no pallet jewels, looks like steel on steel. I'm also not sure if the jewels are real or not. Probably should be considered a fake, but a nice one.

Pritchard has one line on H & O Perret, imported at the turn of the century by a NY firm (Weise). I'd speculate that the watch is more likely from the 1860s-1870s.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Nice watch. Perret is on muy list of underappreciated makers. This is a very fine quality watch. YOur dates pretty much agree with waht I would guess but it could be as late as the 1880's.

Philip Poniz

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2012
Princeton, NJ
Interesting watch Ron, especially because of uncut balance and non-jeweled pallets. The ebauche was made, I am pretty sure by Aubert Freres, circa 1860, probably a bit earlier. At the time, along with Piguet Freres, they were the only makers of this caliber. The difference was that Piguet lowered the pallet fork and bridged it with a flat semicircular bridge.

See a photo of Aubert's movement made for Jurgensen in 1860.

Aubert Freres for JJ 9305 .jpg

The case is clearly destined for the American market. Is there, besides Neuchetel's mark, a casemaker's mark?

Philip Poniz

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Swann jr
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.