H. Montandon Locle

Rizz

New User
Apr 4, 2022
Country
My mother gave this to me before she passed a few years ago. She said she believed it was her great grandfather’s.
I’m about to pass it along to my baby nephew so it stays in the family. I’ve done a bit of googling but don’t see too much about this particular type.
It’s not working but I’m just happy to have it.
Any info you guys have is appreciated so I can inform my nephew when he’s older. Currently he’s 4 months but since I don’t have kids he’s my first choice to pass it to.
Ty all.

A2D8847E-E108-4071-9176-2B9CE21F4E13.jpeg 2BB43520-698A-46B9-8803-876D36EDD855.jpeg 9488464F-2B8F-450C-B1C9-40874BC4A5F9.jpeg 9C8F491E-0F58-4A47-8933-42B1FFE1785D.jpeg

Reactions: montymd

Rizz

New User
Apr 4, 2022
Country
Ty. Not sure how I missed that post. Thanks for the help.

mosesgodfrey

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2017
Country
Region
There is a write up on a similar H Montandon watch in the old bulletins available to NAWCC members, believe it’s a bulletin from 1969. Haven’t read it, but worth looking.

The Montandon family came to Locle in 1803, with other famous watch families fleeing France. There are several Montandons working in Locle through the years, and some watches in the other linked thread are from later Montandons. There are also multiple H Montandons working near Locle.

But there is one H. Montandon working in Locle: H. Montandon-Guizy. I cannot confirm his first name, possibly Henri. He was active in Locle and well known as a watch name by the 1840s, working there until at least 1852. His official Locle address was Rue du Pont 154. I have seen mention of him in town activities back into the 1830s, so it’s possible he was already born in 1803 and came as a child to Locle. Or first generation born in Locle. It seems he may have relocated to nearby Ponts in the early 1850s, so 1840s-early 1850s is the correct range.

The serial number does not represent his own production. Several Locle makers used this same model, all with serial numbers in this range. A shared sn range from a common source. I can point to one now in the same box, same movement etc, very close sn—but different signature.

The caliber is a variant of what became called the “Paris caliber.” The Montandons had strong family ties to France, and Montandon Freres of Besancon—and an office in Locle—seem a likely source. There is a Henri Montandon with ties to Montandon Freres who was a Swiss correspondent on the Great Exhibitions in the 1850s. Possibly our man.

Reactions: montymd and Rizz

Rizz

New User
Apr 4, 2022
Country
Amazing mosesgodfrey - Very interesting. I’m visiting my 4 month old nephew today and am passing it down to him. Will try to print out these replies and place with the watch. Ty all so much. Great community.

Reactions: montymd

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
This is a lovely item but it has two very evident issues. It is missing its inner bezel, which secures and inner crystal. the crystal protects the hands, which are unusual and very fine, well worth protecting. The watch has lost its second hand and finding a matching one will be difficult..

Replacing this bezel is difficult but essential.

Montandon was an excellent shop.

mosesgodfrey

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2017
Country
Region
...Very interesting.... Ty all so much. Great community.
Glad to help.

Each watch is a story, and I can’t help hoping that of all the history here—even the Montandons leaving everything behind in France and starting over—the part that can help preserve it for generations to come will be its place your own family’s history. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Best hopes it can be restored.
Dan

montymd

New User
May 7, 2021
Country
There is a write up on a similar H Montandon watch in the old bulletins available to NAWCC members, believe it’s a bulletin from 1969. Haven’t read it, but worth looking.

The Montandon family came to Locle in 1803, with other famous watch families fleeing France. There are several Montandons working in Locle through the years, and some watches in the other linked thread are from later Montandons. There are also multiple H Montandons working near Locle.

But there is one H. Montandon working in Locle: H. Montandon-Guizy. I cannot confirm his first name, possibly Henri. He was active in Locle and well known as a watch name by the 1840s, working there until at least 1852. His official Locle address was Rue du Pont 154. I have seen mention of him in town activities back into the 1830s, so it’s possible he was already born in 1803 and came as a child to Locle. Or first generation born in Locle. It seems he may have relocated to nearby Ponts in the early 1850s, so 1840s-early 1850s is the correct range.

The serial number does not represent his own production. Several Locle makers used this same model, all with serial numbers in this range. A shared sn range from a common source. I can point to one now in the same box, same movement etc, very close sn—but different signature.

The caliber is a variant of what became called the “Paris caliber.” The Montandons had strong family ties to France, and Montandon Freres of Besancon—and an office in Locle—seem a likely source. There is a Henri Montandon with ties to Montandon Freres who was a Swiss correspondent on the Great Exhibitions in the 1850s. Possibly our man.
Interesting conversation about H. Montandon Locle. This is one of the hardest Montandon makers to be accurate on due to a large number of fabricators. A few clarifications regarding the above the Henri Montandon-Guizi is Jean-Jaques-Henri Montandon 1796-1853 of the La Longe branch. The Henri Montandon of Les Ponts is Samuel-Henri Montandon 1822-1872, father of Ulysse Montandon-Robert. Montandon frères did have a manufacturing in Besançon but it has not been possible to determine air-tight that this was handled by Henri-Louis Montandon 1821-1884 an inventor and watchmaker of the Montandon de Travers branch like Samuel-Henri. It is possible but there is also in Locle as per Davoine Almanacs from the 1870s another individual -a grandson of JJ Henri (also Montandon-La Longe) Henri Montandon-Nardin 1840-1915. Concerning Le Locle, the city was founded by a Montandon with several other families closer to 1383 as opposed to 1803 and Montandon watchmakers can be found by the mid 1700s there associated with orfeverie and pendulerie. Montandon frères was established by the Montandon-Blaiselion branch, however there was close cooperation within the branches of cousins (all Swiss Montandons share a common ancestor Jehan whose family colonized Locle from the start).

Last edited:

montymd

New User
May 7, 2021
Country

Based on serial numbers for cases/movements I have collated the following for H Montandon- which is the most common of signatures in this rare “brand”- this number fits nicely ito the niche used by H Montandon Locle and may have been the number of his ébauche supplier. Incidentally- in the 1830s there is sufficient evidence to suggest serial and invoice/facture number as being the same in the founders of Montandon frères Locle
E4A2AD78-87FA-43D4-837B-2CD925CC07CA.png
E4A2AD78-87FA-43D4-837B-2CD925CC07CA.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j0ckser
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent