H. Montandon, Lecole ? Anyone Know This maker

Daniel W.

May 31, 2012
Alabama
Country
Region
As the title states does anyone know anything about this watch maker? 800.JPG 800 jewels.JPG 800 works.jpg

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
This belongs in the European section. Looks like a 19th century Swiss 15 jewel bar movement with a straight lever escapement.

artbissell

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Boulder, CO Foothills
Region
I am aware of the name as a fine finisher of many different Swiss movements and nice gold case work. A friend has nice 1890 repeater with fancy dial and 18k case with chronograph and calender (not perpetual). Not a volume producer of own movements. but one of many specialty makers. The name has a good quality reputation but not like Patek and other high quality brands. Should get quite a lot of info by googling the name. I tried Google images and was surprised at the variety shown.

Last edited:

Mikrolisk

Feb 16, 2011
Germany
www.mikrolisk.de
Country
Region
The "Pritchard" says very less about H. Montandon from Le Locle, the book only mentions a signed watch with some patent from 1879.

Andreas

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Montandon of Locle was a large retailer. I have seen a lot of these in qualiy better and worse than yours. You can get more information on the firm by using "Montandon Locle" as a search term in Google Books. I tried it and got a lot of hits. I suspect most of tehse are reerences to the shop in guidbooks or advertisements in trade journals.

Your watch, as noted is a good grade watch. When it stops, take a close look at the balance. If its arms ar enot cut through it has a fake compensated balance and its a lower grade. Even if it has a cut balance it may not hav ebeen adjusted but its definitely better.

Daniel W.

May 31, 2012
Alabama
Country
Region
When it stops, take a close look at the balance. If its arms ar enot cut through it has a fake compensated balance and its a lower grade. Even if it has a cut balance it may not hav ebeen adjusted but its definitely better.
It's a 2 piece wheel if that makes sense. It's cut into 2 equal pieces.

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
It's a 2 piece wheel if that makes sense. It's cut into 2 equal pieces.
Yes, that makes sense, and means that this is a genuine cut balance - which is a good thing! :)

Daniel W.

May 31, 2012
Alabama
Country
Region
Sorry for taking so long to get back. Been under the weather. Thanks for the help guys. The watch ran when I wound it very little. In your opinion is it worth spending the money to have serviced? I know it's not a highly demanded watch so I don't want to throw good money at bad.

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
If you want to wear it you need to get it serviced probably every three years (? if that's wrong for a more modern Swiss watch than I'm used to, I'm sure someone will correct me!). The watch seems to be of decent quality and will give you use for many years to come. But don't think of the cost as investment - its the cost of using it!

Daniel W.

May 31, 2012
Alabama
Country
Region
The watch seems to be of decent quality and will give you use for many years to come. But don't think of the cost as investment - its the cost of using it!
Yes sir fully understand what you are saying and that's really what I meant if it would hold up for everyday use. I'd hate to have it serviced and it quit after a couple months.:eek: Thanks a lot !!

Daniel W.

May 31, 2012
Alabama
Country
Region
WOW ! That's a beautiful watch. 32 jewels Man O Man I bet that watch was expensive when it was new let alone what it's worth now. Have any idea when it was made?

artbissell

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Boulder, CO Foothills
Region
The repeater is a LeCoultre movement nicely finished by Montandon with calender added ~1900. It is unusually nice for a 1/4 repeater and simple calender and value today would only be 2-3 times gold scrap value.

Benedons

New User
Sep 25, 2012
I have this one. I think this guy was a retailer, as well. Here is an example of his box. This watch is in its original box with key.
Montandon 14kt.jpg Montandon Dial.jpg Montandon Dust.jpg Montandon Movement.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucymine840
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent