H&H Carriage Clock

wlanc

Feb 28, 2021
Country
Hello - I’m looking for more information on my mom’s carriage clock. I would lie to get it working again. Thank you for your time and assistance.

8EA1D792-E8A4-4E02-85F2-5C71B3F3A5E8.jpeg D416EAD1-F2D6-443A-929D-51D3A6AED515.jpeg 4E1B194C-C713-4E43-854B-AD841332871E.jpeg

Reactions: John Perusello

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

Your clock is made in France and the H&H on the back may be the logo of Harris & Harrington, which was a company in New York importing clocks to the US. However, I am not sure about this attribution.

You don't say what is wrong with your clock. Have you wound it? I know that sounds a little obvious, but it is often overlooked. Wind it and gently shake the clock in a rotary motion - it may start ticking!

It would be good if you could post a photograph of the platform escapement (the little wheel that is visible through the top glass).

Others will surely be along soon to tell you more.

JTD

wlanc

Feb 28, 2021
Country
Welcome to the board.

Your clock is made in France and the H&H on the back may be the logo of Harris & Harrington, which was a company in New York importing clocks to the US. However, I am not sure about this attribution.

You don't say what is wrong with your clock. Have you wound it? I know that sounds a little obvious, but it is often overlooked. Wind it and gently shake the clock in a rotary motion - it may start ticking!

It would be good if you could post a photograph of the platform escapement (the little wheel that is visible through the top glass).

Others will surely be along soon to tell you more.

JTD
Thank you for the info - I wasn’t sure about winding it - didn’t want to damage it. Gave it a wind anyway and it works! We’ll see how well it keeps time. I’ve attached pics of the sides of the case. Thank you again.

200DA082-9C4C-4CD7-8E17-E21674E04260.jpeg E078F503-075F-4C3F-81E3-D742085E5368.jpeg

Reactions: John Perusello

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I'm glad it works now. Not sure what 'gave it a wind' means, but wind it fully until it will not wind further. It should run for a week if fully wound.

The two winding shafts (they have the toothed wheels surrounding them) are to wind the clock and the alarm.

The other two arbors, which have arrows around them, are to set the hands and set the alarm.

If your clock has lain dormant for a long time, it would be wise for it to be serviced fairly soon by a competent clockmaker. But enjoy it for the time being - a nice clock and, more important, an heirloom.

JTD

wlanc

Feb 28, 2021
Country
I just wound it till it stopped. Winding the chime makes it chime continuously until in winds down. Is there a setting that stops that. I see an S and F at the top with a small lever above them. Is that something to do with the chime?

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
The S/F lever makes the clock run slower or faster but does not alter the strike.

it sounds like you should have the clock serviced.

wlanc

Feb 28, 2021
Country
The S/F lever makes the clock run slower or faster but does not alter the strike.

it sounds like you should have the clock serviced.
Ok - thank you. I will take it and and have it looked at.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I just wound it till it stopped. Winding the chime makes it chime continuously until in winds down. Is there a setting that stops that. I see an S and F at the top with a small lever above them. Is that something to do with the chime?
Your clock has an alarm but not striking. The lower dial on the front sets the time at which it should go off, when it does it rings on a bell in the base until the spring runs down. If you don't want to use the alarm don't wind it.

The movement looks like it would benefit from a service at some point and the case a clean.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Some French carriage clocks have a striking train that doesn't have a warning, but it looks as if this is purely an alarm clock, no?
I've never seen a chiming carriage clock.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Some French carriage clocks have a striking train that doesn't have a warning, but it looks as if this is purely an alarm clock, no?
I've never seen a chiming carriage clock.
It's taking the discussion a bit off topic, but there are chiming carriage clocks, some with Westminster or other chimes, some with music, but they are not very common.

Back on topic, if wlanc does not need to use the alarm, and the time side is working OK for now, then the clock will work just fie as is. But given that it will not have been serviced for some time, and that it is a family clock, it is still probably worth getting serviced.

Jessk09

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2020
Country
Nice clock, says H&H on backplate. I have only seen carriage clocks with alarms and not with striking capabilities. Don’t know what “Gave it a wind” means.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Nice clock, says H&H on backplate. I have only seen carriage clocks with alarms and not with striking capabilities.
Many carriage clocks have striking or chiming both with and without an alarm.

wlanc

Feb 28, 2021
Country
I gave the clock a full wind with the key and it has been keeping time. Is there any way to date to clock? There are numbers stamped into the inside of the case door frame as well as on the bottom next to the bell. Thank you for all the information so far.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I gave the clock a full wind with the key and it has been keeping time. Is there any way to date to clock? There are numbers stamped into the inside of the case door frame as well as on the bottom next to the bell. Thank you for all the information so far.
The "France" on the movement indicates a no older than date of 1891. The "France" on the dial dates it to no older than 1909.

So, the clock was made no earlier than 1909.

Regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJCMWRT
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff