Gustave Becker: Rod vs spiral gong

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Douglas Ballard, May 21, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Douglas Ballard

Douglas Ballard Registered User

Dec 2, 2011
    Network Information Management/Computer Repair
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm looking to acquire a GB weight driven wall clock. In my searching I've noticed several of these clocks listed with a rod "chime" as opposed to a coil gong. Were some of these clocks offered with the rod as opposed to the gong, or is this a retrofit?

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doug, if the GB clock is fitted with a rod gong it is most likely original.

The rod gong was invented in 1898 and use protection granted in December of that year to Johann Obergfell. The patent was assigned shortly after that to Matthias Baüerle and rapidly commercialized with excellent acceptance by the industry. That was because the rod gong can be made to give a much richer sound than a coil gong and is less expensive to produce.

The first GB clocks with rod gongs were made in Braunau starting in 1899. By 1902 almost all Braunau clocks were fitted with rod gongs and that continued in practice until 1926 when production was stopped at that location.

In Freiburg the first clock documented with a rod gong was made in 1900, however the majority of Freiburg clocks (except for Westminster chime clocks which used 100% rod gongs) continued to use coil gongs right up to the end of production in Freiburg at the end of 1932.

3. Douglas Ballard

Douglas Ballard Registered User

Dec 2, 2011
    Network Information Management/Computer Repair
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, thank you for that information. Most helpful!
    Doug