Gustav Becker Westminster reassembly woes

Mark Layte

Feb 10, 2014
Country
Region
Hi Everyone,

First time posting something here so please correct me if I'm not doing something right.

I have the movement partially assembled but totally lost on the adjustments necessary. Manually moving the chime side and moving the minute hand to each quarter results in the same amount of revolution of the two cams (chime stop and autocorrection?) that are mounted on the same arbor. The chime cam stops at the same place after about a turn and a half. There is a wheel with a pin that I believe stops the chime. Perhaps that is what I adjust by slightly separating the plates? I'm posting pics and hope someone has worked on a movement like this one.

Thank you

image3.jpeg image2.jpeg image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

Mark Layte

Feb 10, 2014
Country
Region
Thanks Ken! My cams are between the plates but I'm hoping I can figure it all out.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Most chimers are adjusted after the plates are closed and everything is back in place. Occasionally pinned warning wheels require a bit of adjustment after the plates are closed. Sometimes the plates can be eased open to adjust just that wheel, but the last GB I worked on refused to do that. Had to relocate just about every pivot for each adjustment. Is there a problem with your movement, or are you just trying to find out if something must be specifically placed before you close the plates?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I can't tell if that's a two train chimer or a three train. How many chains/cables?

Mark Layte

Feb 10, 2014
Country
Region
Most chimers are adjusted after the plates are closed and everything is back in place. Occasionally pinned warning wheels require a bit of adjustment after the plates are closed. Sometimes the plates can be eased open to adjust just that wheel, but the last GB I worked on refused to do that. Had to relocate just about every pivot for each adjustment. Is there a problem with your movement, or are you just trying to find out if something must be specifically placed before you close the plates?
There wasn't a problem until I created one taking it apart for cleaning. :(
The strike and chime warnings are easy but the two chime cams between the plates is where I'm confused as to how they are adjusted. Both cams are on the same arbor and appear to be fixed to it. This would be easy if it was a common movement like the Hermle where levers and cams are on the front.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
If it's the auto correct you are setting, just remember the cam holds the train locked at the 3/4 hour until the long lobe on the center cam comes around. Danny

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
If the two cams are fixed on the same arbor, I would assume there is no adjustment there. I still can’t grasp what exactly is the problem. You indicate that it goes into warning properly, so is the chime correction not holding at the 3/4? From your photos, it looks like there is a hook between the cams, but I can’t tell for sure. Hooks usually have a set screw in the collet for adjustment.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
One of those two cams should be adjustable. Take a close look for a set screw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerm346
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-