Gustav becker wall clock

Kirby

Mar 11, 2020
Country
I think I didn't post all photos before. Not to savvy at thos stuff. Purchase clock at garage sale in pieces. Going to try to put it together but was trying to establish age of click.

20220811_181709.jpg 20220811_172205.jpg 20220811_172131.jpg 20220811_160445.jpg

Tatyana

Jan 2, 2016
Saint Petersburg
Country
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Royce and PatH

Kirby

Mar 11, 2020
Country
According to the John Hubby table it is 1911.
The clock is made in the Austrian branch Braunau.

Regards
Tatyana
Thank you so much. I am hopeful I can get this clock all back together and running. Looks like all the parts are here. The cabinet is missing a piece of trim but looks pretty common profile. Thanks again for the info.

Kirby

Mar 11, 2020
Country
Can you tell me by looking at photo if the weights are threaded correctly. Should the string gi thru the bracket. I have the clock running and keeping good time and the chime is the right sequence.

20220819_171117.jpg

Teckelhut

NAWCC Member
May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
Can you tell me by looking at photo if the weights are threaded correctly. Should the string gi thru the bracket. I have the clock running and keeping good time and the chime is the right sequence.

View attachment 722169

Unfortunately I cannot be of any help on this one. My GB is not a double weight Vienna. Wish it was though. They are hard to come by.

Kirby

Mar 11, 2020
Country
Can anyone comment as to whether the threads for weights look correct or should the thread go thru the bracket.

20220819_171117.jpg 20220819_171146.jpg

Kirby

Mar 11, 2020
Country
Unfortunately I cannot be of any help on this one. My GB is not a double weight Vienna. Wish it was though. They are hard to come by.
Ok. Thank you for responding. I will post a new thread with this question. I will be posting a pic soon.

Reactions: Teckelhut

Carl Bergquist

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
They look correct to me. They should hang straight down off the wtnding side of the wheel, then down through the pulley and up to hook that holds them. The brackets are to stop you from winding into the movement. Make sure that the cable is up against the front of the drum and as you wind it the cable should work its way back until fully wound--- no overlap. Overlap means your cable is too long.

Kirby

Mar 11, 2020
Country
Thank you. That makes sense. The thread or string seems to be very old. Any advice as to when this should be replaced or just wait till it breaks. And will any twine of similar make up work.. The weights are a little dented on then end which leads me to believe the string has been replaced at least once in the clocks life. Again thank you for your post.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Any advice as to when this should be replaced or just wait till it breaks.
Please don't do that! :eek: The will be a repair shop near you who has cable or twine to get you sorted.
Don't forget that weight pulley pivots need lubrication as well.

Kirby

Mar 11, 2020
Country
Please don't do that! :eek: The will be a repair shop near you who has cable or twine to get you sorted.
Don't forget that weight pulley pivots need lubrication as well.
Thank you for the post. I will contact the only clock repair place I know about here to see if they have what I need. Thanks again.

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
My dad had a becker that woke him up while sleeping, and a string broke and the weight knocked the bottom off the clock. Im going to redo all my weight clocks with new stuff.

Kirby

Mar 11, 2020
Country
My dad had a becker that woke him up while sleeping, and a string broke and the weight knocked the bottom off the clock. Im going to redo all my weight clocks with new stuff.
I purchased mine at an estate sale. I think the same thing happened to it. The weights were dented on the bottom and I had to do some minor repair to the cabinet base. I called a couple of clock places here locally but have been unable to find the string for the clock. Also have checked ebay bit I guess my hunting skills are lacking. If you find a place to purchase the string I would appreciate it if you could pass that info along. Thanks for your input.

Carl Bergquist

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
There are several threads on this forum on cable. The three choices seem to be "gut", braided cable or some of the new fishing lines that some guys really like. Depending on your clocks age and your personal preference you will need to read and choose. Diameter can be important, length is certainly important (no overlapping}. I like braided cable but it has a terrible memory problem. If you take a weight off it will backlash like a fishing reel. The new fishing lines are in many colors and diameters and are very strong but if you go to Pro Bass you have 50 to choose from--good luck.

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
I looked at a few german weight clocks that had been restrung and im thinking they were last serviced around 10 to 15 years ago from a dated repair shop cars, and the fishing line was already fraying on them. Uve seen fish break lines, so i dont trust it, and im not a fan of the looks, but thats just me. im going with brass cable.

Carl Bergquist

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
I like your choice, but as I said it does have the one major flaw. Whenever I hang a cable weight clock I have the cables completely unwound and try to start the winding slowly and with the cable tracking nicely along the drum. Once you do this the clocks will go for years without worry but if you take a weight off beware the snarl.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
IMO You should take braided Nylon , like the builders use. Metall-either steel on brass/bronce - is not good for the drum.
Burkhard

Reactions: Royce and JTD

eemoore

Apr 26, 2008
Columbia, S.C.
Country
Region
There are several threads on this forum on cable. The three choices seem to be "gut", braided cable or some of the new fishing lines that some guys really like. Depending on your clocks age and your personal preference you will need to read and choose. Diameter can be important, length is certainly important (no overlapping}. I like braided cable but it has a terrible memory problem. If you take a weight off it will backlash like a fishing reel. The new fishing lines are in many colors and diameters and are very strong but if you go to Pro Bass you have 50 to choose from--good luck.
If i may, just to clarify, the type of fishing line to use is braided line, not monofilament line . The diameter is important, as Carl has stated, and thus 100-150 lb.wt test is appropriate size. As already stated, there is some good discussions of this in the clock repair forums. hope this is helpful.

Reactions: Kirby

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-