Gustav Becker wall clock Questions

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ChrisCam, Oct 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi my newly acquired G.B wall clock was transported home safely but with one slight casualty despite my attempts to prevent it. This is a 2 weight clock and the weights are hung off fine wire or nylon (not yet investigated). The problem is I wound the weights nearly up and used some screwed up plastic bags to go between the wires to give some tension before removing the weights. It seemed to work fine but when I got home the wires had detached themselves leaving a half inch loop on the end of the lines through each pulley. Where do these loops go is the question?
    Secondly the movement has a serial number which dates the clock but also a P64 and a separate A stamped on the movements back. Any one know the significance of these stamps?
    Thirdly any known links / sources of G.B manuals etc?

Sorry no photo as camera battery flat.

Regards
    Chris

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #2 Steven Thornberry, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    The P64 means that the pendulum length is 64 cm. Becker movements have been known to carry several letters, some of which have been clarified. To my knowledge, the letter "A" has not been explained. We really do need to see pictures to help you with other issues.

3. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 ChrisCam, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2019
    Thanks steven, will post photo in morning when camera battery charged.
    Chris

4. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    There should be two hooks on the bracket for the movement or on the front plate of the movement for the loops to hook over. If you slip the movement out of the bracket and tilt it slightly looking at the bottom of the movement ahd behind the dial youshould see the two hooks for the loops or two hooks on the front plate of the movement. Some Becker movements have two brackets attached to the front plate that have holes in one end for the cable to go through from the bottom and be knotted to keep the cables in place. Since your cables have loops the first sentence in this post should apply.

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    If the cords are not in perfect condition, they need to be replaced. Willie X

6. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks John, haven't had a moment yet to investigate but I am sure you will be right. On another post I think they said 50 lb fishing line was OK if replacing these lines. They look OK so its just for future reference. I have read nylon does not birds nest and in this case it demonstrates that but what is the best nylon or gut? Also are the weights usually same both sides in these clocks?
    Regards
    Chris

loops on line.jpg movement.jpg

7. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Essentially _every_ kind of cord builds a bird's nest to some extent. Vienna regulators used some weird thin black stuff that reminds me of the dial cord used to move the tuning pointer when you turned the tuning knob in old radios. (I used to be a maestro at re-stringing those.) I believe I've seen Vienna regulator cord in one or another catalog, but when I finally had to re-string a V. regulator I had the best luck with braided nylon chalk line from the home-improvement store. Anything resembling monofilament will always bird's-nest.

"Bird's nest" has to be one of the strangest bits of terminology to try to fit into a grammatically-correct sentence. Sometimes that bothers me.

M Kinsler
    maybe it's better if you hyphenate it

8. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Mark, it's the teacher in you coming out here over the grammar...I'll leave that to you but Bird's nest with or without hyphen works as a metaphor. Just read an opinion that nylon is a poor substitute for gut for 2 reasons;
    1 it is not usually of the period of old clocks and
    2. It (nylon) does not apparently on board the drum shape i.e it keeps it's former shape which leans itself to bird nesting.
    As always I expect many people will have their own opinions and rightly so.
    Chris

9. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Has anyone ever tried linen thread like that used in book binding and mending? Or the heavy thread used for sewing on buttons?

10. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #10 Willie X, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    I would recommend that you try everything and use the one you like best. The size has to be correct. It can be slightly undersize but not oversize. I settled on high quality solid braid nylon cord long ago but recently I've been using 100# Kevlar fishing line on smaller Viennas. Nylon braid has a slight memory where Kevlar has no memory at all.

The weights should be the same. When you see weights that are different, the train with the heavier weight often will have a problem. A previous repairer 'got it going' by adding weight without correcting the problem.

Willie X