Gustav Becker wall clock issue

JohnHugill

Apr 15, 2016
Country
Good afternoon, illustrious members of this group.
Thank you in anticipation....
I am an amateur. But I love clocks. And even more importantly still, I love stuff that works correctly.
So... I have a GB wall clock that chimes, on occasion, the hour at the half hour instead. Other times it chimes correctly.
So, for example, at three thirty, when it should only chime "ding, dong," it chimes three times, "ding, dong, ding dong, ding dong."
(I am feeling a little silly right now).
And it does it from time to time at other half hours. Last night it chimed ten times at 10:30
Other times it chimes as I said, as it should.
Anyway, seriously, I love clocks (I have also a grandfather GB in my living room) and have taken this wall clock for repair to two different shops. ,
And after spending 5 months in my second fellow's home who has a clock repair business out of his home, It has come back the same.
I'm tempted to just let it go, but the inner me REALLY wants it right.
I called this latter fellow who "supposedly" fixed it before, and he tells me it was fine when it was in his shop so I'm done with him.
Any ideas?
Should I get someone else? Perhaps I might get some insight from this group before proceeding to my next repair person.
And I do appreciate your consideration.
Thank you again.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, John. welcome to the message board. Do you know enough about your clock to tell if it is rack and snail, or a countwheel movement? A few pictures of what you have and the movement in particular, would be needed to offer any suggestions. It is difficult in a clock repair shop to hear one clock over all the others to notice a problem like this.

JohnHugill

Apr 15, 2016
Country
Harold, sorry it has taken me a while. I had trouble transferring from Ipone to my computer. Anyway, here are the pics, and thanks again. Gustav Becker 1.PNG Gustav Becker 2.PNG Gustav Becker 3.PNG

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Harold, sorry it has taken me a while. I had trouble transferring from Ipone to my computer. Anyway, here are the pics, and thanks again. 267633.png 267634.png 267635.png

john -

those photos could be bigger... are you an iPhone/pc guy? or an iPhone/mac guy?

either way, if you take photos with your iPhone you can then email each individual photo right out of the 'photos' app... click on a photo to bring up the 'sharing' icon (a square with an upward pointing arrow) and then choose email... you will then be asked to pick the size. typically you do not need the biggest version... the second-biggest version should suffice.

i use the 'imageCapture' app to move bunches of photos, and then tweak in photoshop before posting.

smike

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
When I click on these pics they come up more or less the same size as the first lot.

JTD

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Looking at your second picture, and enlarging it, there is what looks like it could be the rack (or possibly a gear), but it is bent so it is not perpendicular to the movement. That could be where your problem is. If you could remove the dial, and show a picture of the front of the movement, it may confirm what I think I am seeing there.

marylander

Sep 9, 2008
Maryland
Country
Region
Yes, as Harold suggested, take off the dial and a photo shot from the front will tell if it is a rack and snail. From the back and side photos you posted, I could not see any count wheel. So, most likely it is a rack and snail system. John, if so, you can just take out the minute hand and turn it 180º and reinstall it back. After you reinstall the minute hand, you can turn it clockwise to see if it strike correctly. Of course, you need to also adjust the hour hand to point to correct hour.
Hope this help.
Ming

JohnHugill

Apr 15, 2016
Country
Ming, Harold and other kind responders, thanks. I took the clock out of the case, and looked at how to remove the dial to take pic, as directed above, but being a complete newbie, had no idea. How do I proceed? And thanks.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
The minute hand is held on with a taper pin. It needs to be removed with a pair of pliers. Make sure you are working in the right direction, pulling on the big end. Then you can remove the minute hand pulling up on it, and the hour hand, also friction fit. Then look for 4 dial posts held on the movement with taper pins. Remove them, and the dial will pull off.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Ming, Harold and other kind responders, thanks. I took the clock out of the case, and looked at how to remove the dial to take pic, as directed above, but being a complete newbie, had no idea. How do I proceed? And thanks.

john -

here are some illustrated photos that should help...

smike

hands.jpg pins.jpg

JohnHugill

Apr 15, 2016
Country
Gentlemen, thanks again for all the effort. Much appreciated, believe me. I have not responded earlier, because of reluctance to get into this not knowing what the heck I'm doing, but hearing the clock strike a bunch of hours and not knowing if it is actually striking the hour or the following half hour, nudged me on. I'm reluctant to admit I could not get the face of the clock off. I took off the minute hand, that is held in place with nut, but the hour hand would not come off. When I pulled on it, looking behind the face of the clock, the cog in the back moves as well. Attached is a pic. It probably won't help, but anyway... Any other ideas, and THANKS SO VERY MUCH. CLOCK.jpg

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
Take the hour hand and work it back and forth as you pull outward. It should come off. Put a little oil on it and let it soak in. Then try again.

JohnHugill

Apr 15, 2016
Country
Thanks, R&A. I'm comforted to know that it should come off. A little oil may well help.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
you could also try one of these:

http://timesavers.com/i-9500790-hand-gear-puller.html

or even a meat fork... assuming you could get it between the dial and underside of the hour hand without risking any damage to the dial... just something to help you pull the hour hand up toward you.

don't force anything, though...

good luck,
smike

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
Like smike says.
I would be very careful using this tool. If you can't see the clearance between the hand and the dial. There is a great possibility that you can crack a porcelain dial or bend the wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam P
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre