Gustav Becker Vienna Regulator 3 Weight Wall Clock Grand Sonnerie problem

beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
Florida
Country
Region
Hi - I just bought a
Gustav Becker Vienna Regulator 3 Weight Wall Clock Grand Sonnerie
and the left chime does nothing. I cannot see where any parts are missing. The right chime runs, but not accurately, which I would assume is why the left side isn't working. Can any one give me any suggestions on what to do. I've looked until I'm blind to find the reason. Here is a picture of the movement. Thank you in advance for any help.
Nancy
movement.jpg movement2.jpg movement3.jpg movement.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i believe the train on the left is the strike train, middle is the time train, and right is the chime train.

are you saying the weight does not drop over time? that the rack does not get released when it goes into warning? that the gathering pallet doesn't gather?

if you just got it and are unsure as to when it was last serviced... it needs servicing. :)

btw... the both the strike and chime trains are dumb. they only know how to run. how 'far' (long) they run is (hopefully) pre-determined by the amount the rack on either side drops when going into warning... the gathering pin on each side will run until it can't turn (and gather) any more. the adjustments for these are typically on the front of the movement, but can require some delicate tweaking.

Reactions: beststevens

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Most of the time, the chime side sets up the strike ... but I don't think that's the case on yours. The pin on that large wheel that sets up the chime looks like it should have a similar pin on the other side to set up the strike. See if you can see if something might have broken off there. Also that big spring on the top left appears to be exerting pressure in the wrong direction. Hard to know without having it in hand.

Reactions: beststevens

dickstorer

Oct 19, 2010
Hampton, Georgia
Country
Region
Nancy, In my humble opinion all of the springs and levers are in the proper position. It does not work properly because it needs to be taken apart and cleaned. It appears to be badly in need of it. Then re-assemble and lube. Take lots of pics if you are unsure of getting it back together. If it does not strike on the quarters it will not strike the hour. You state that it does not chime, I think you meant to say strike.

rgmt79

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2016
Brno, Czech Republic. London, UK
Country
Region
Nancy, the strike mechanism on the right of your photo is the quarter strike, which needs to function correctly to set up the hour strike mechanism on the left. To do this, the hour strike warning lever (the uppermost lever in the centre of your pictures) needs to trigger the mechanism via a pin (on the other side of the lever at the top end) protruding through the plate. That lever should be biased in the clockwise direction via a small brass spring pushing against the tail of the hour strike warning lever. I cannot see that spring in any of your photo's, without it the quarter strike will work but NOT the hour strike.

I should add that I believe this spring comes up from below the tail of the hour strike warning lever on the Gustav Becker movement and maybe it's there but obscured in your photo's. I'm more familiar with older spring driven Vienna Grande Sonnerie movements where the spring comes from above.

Richard

Last edited:

rgmt79

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2016
Brno, Czech Republic. London, UK
Country
Region
ok dickstorer, in that case I agree with your post #5 and the movement needs dismantling, cleaning and properly oiled when reassembled. Nancy, do not oil the levers or associated parts, just the wheel pivots and pay particular attention to the relationship between the quarter strike cam and the wheel at the base of the minute pipe to ensure the quarter strike and hour strike are correctly synchronised...there is often a scratch mark on the cam corresponding to a similar scratch mark on the wheel of the minute pipe to help with this.

Good luck and post updates as you proceed.

Richard

beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
Florida
Country
Region
thank you all - I'm not much on taking apart - so I think I'll let a pro do it. It does keep time perfectly, so I may leave it just like that as well. I was hoping it was a simple thing. Appreciate, as usual, all your help

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
What everyone is saying is correct. The parts all seem to be there. The sequence is that the minute hand triggers the quarter(s) with a fairly violent action, you would not miss the triggering. If all is well the right side rack will fall and count either one, two, three, or four. When it has fallen far enough to count four the right rack moves far enough to activate the hour count on the left side. Move the minute hand thru the four quarters watching for the triggering, you can't miss this action. To help you the people watching this thread need to see what (if anything) happens after the trigger. If the movement runs through the triggering that is kind of a good sign usually if the strike and quarters are "buggered up" they will stop the clock. Cleaning will certainly help everything and finding a pro is not a bad thing. There are many threads here on this very topic with movies and arrows and all sorts of hints. These clocks are some of the most enjoyable to work on and watch, but remember that they need a gentle hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justincasejustintime
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller