Gustav Becker Tower Clock, The Only One??

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by tarant, Apr 29, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Post Your Gustav Becker clocks here

On April we had a meeting of the members of our Clock Fan Club (KMZIZ) in Świebodzice - Freiburg.
    We had an occasion to see the only (probably)tower clock made by GB. This clock was restored by Adam Mroziuk, well known on this forum.

The Post Office building with the dial:

224.jpg

The serial number 652750...:

225.jpg

The hand wounding system (with power reserve about 24 hrs) was replaced by a completely removable (within few minutes) electric system:

226.jpg

227.jpg

228.jpg

The anchor and...Adam's finger:

229.jpg

230.jpg

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Tarant, thanks VERY much for posting the photos of this very unique clock. I would agree this may be the only GB tower clock still in existence, no others have been documented that I know of.

And many congratulations to Adam for his exceptional work in restoring the clock! :clap::clap::clap:

Based on the serial number, my research shows the movement was made near the end of 1887. Becker were still using the "reversed" position of the logo stamps at that time with the "Medaille d'Or" to the left and the GB circular logo to the right, although the more familiar arrangement had already been started on some clocks. Does this date fit any known history of when it was installed, or is there any construction date on the building? It would be really interesting if the original installation date is known.

I see writing on the dial, above the hands appears "BPT" or something similar, then the town name Świebodzice at the level of the hands. Below the hands there are other markings but I can't tell what is there. It would be very interesting to know the complete information.

Finally, I will copy this information and post it in the Tower Clocks Forum for information there since we may find other knowledge of a GB tower clock.

Thanks again!!

3. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

This building was erected in 1885 for the Kaiserliche Post (Reichspost).
    On the dial are: logo of the Polish Post and Telecommunication Office, abbreviation (UPT) and "Swiebodzice" - added after the II WW. The clock was restored in 2003, after 22 years of stoppage.
    Here'a the link to the cataloque of tower clocks:
    http://katalog.zegarki.info.pl/swiebodzice-poczta-polska-ul-swidnicka-10/
    And more photos from the Adam's archive :
    http://picasaweb.google.com/amroziuk/ZegarPocztyPolskiejWSwiebodzicachPostOfficeSwiebodziceFreiburgInSchlClockGustavBecker#

4. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tarant, Thank You very much for posting the clock photos . Mike.

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Tarant, thanks very much for posting the links to your club's site with the additional info about the clock, and also to Adam's photo file. These are a wonderful record of the clock for posterity.