gustav becker tambour

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by curly, Nov 8, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. curly

curly Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 17, 2001
    retired
    Northern Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just picked up a gustav becker tambour and it is in need of repair. I have attempted to remove the movement with no luck. the chime rods and block have been removed, and also the screws on each of the four straps have also been removed and the movement still is tight in the case. Any hints on how to remove this movement. The movement is marked with P18 next to the becker logo and has a serial number of 2387530. Thanks for any assistance, Curly

2. curly

curly Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 17, 2001
    retired
    Northern Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just picked up a gustav becker tambour and it is in need of repair. I have attempted to remove the movement with no luck. the chime rods and block have been removed, and also the screws on each of the four straps have also been removed and the movement still is tight in the case. Any hints on how to remove this movement. The movement is marked with P18 next to the becker logo and has a serial number of 2387530. Thanks for any assistance, Curly

3. MikeP

MikeP Guest

Most likely the movement straps have simply adhered to the inside of the case by being in that position over the years. If the inside of the case is finished (shellac or lacquer), this will be worse. You could either just use the brute force method - just grab the movement by one side or the other and pry it off the case or apply a few drops of lacquer thinner at the point where each strap contacts the case. BE CAREFUL - don't get any of this on the front of the case. I have never seen a tambour movement that was held in by a method other than the movement strap screws.

And be sure you have removed the screws from all straps - sometimes it's easy to overlook one. I assume you have removed the hands...

4. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are there machine screws through the bottom of the seatboard, into the posts on bottom of movement?

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC #35863