• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Gustav Becker P74

karlosfandango

Aug 7, 2007
Happy New Year to all. I would like to ask what the standard pendulum bob size would be for a P74. I have a complete movement and dial, recently rebuilt, along with a good wooden rod. I have various bobs in my various boxes but wondering which one to use. It could save me a lot of time if someone has one of these working movements and could give me the information as I believe the one I am thinking of is too large and heavy due to the fact that it won't keep going:confused:

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Karlos, could you post photos of your movement front and back? Be sure to show the logos and P74 number as well as the serial number. The pendulum length you mention is unusual and it would be good to document that info, also could give some idea about what kind of case it was originally fitted in.

karlosfandango

Aug 7, 2007
Will get to work photographing it now but in the meantime I can tell you that I don't have the original case though I have one which is purported to be a Becker case so will get pics of that too - back shortly

karlosfandango

Aug 7, 2007
Re: Gustav Becker P64

Well there you go - got it out of its case and it isn't a P74, it is a P64. The serial number is 1819214. The rod I have is from top to tail just over 66cm in length so I am guessing that the rod is not long enough, which then means that the case is also too small, that is if the 64 relates to from the top of the rod to the middle of the bob which is what I presume it should be.

Attachments

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

HUB, as you know, is our "go to" guy on all things Becker but I offer;
The pendulum length is not uncommon for a Vienna. It is one of two typical - 25 and 27. I measure from top of ribbon to top of rating nut.
I can tell you tho, that the weight of the bob is not stopping it. The movement cares little about bob weight within reason so look somewhere else - beat and escapement especially.
Typically these use a bob about five to 6 inches diameter and often weigh about eight to twelve oz.
How much weight are you using to power it. 3 lb., each side, for a striker is most common.
Whaddya tink?

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region

Well there you go - got it out of its case and it isn't a P74, it is a P64. The serial number is 1819214. The rod I have is from top to tail just over 66cm in length so I am guessing that the rod is not long enough, which then means that the case is also too small, that is if the 64 relates to from the top of the rod to the middle of the bob which is what I presume it should be.
Karlos, thanks very much for the photos. This solves the "74" question, actually the P64 is a common pendulum length for GB Vienna style clocks. The measurement is from the center of the suspension spring to the bottom tip of the pendulum rod, "not" to the center of the bob as is commonly used for American clocks. The Germans used the measure I described almost universally.

Scottie, I agree the 74 is not uncommon in general terms but up to now I've never seen that pendulum length stamp on a Becker movement. The following pendulum length stamps have been documented to date for Freiburg clocks:

P12P14P18P21P23P26P30P35P37P42P48P54P64P65P65.5 P66.5P75P95P112

However, I will concede that P75 is very close to P74. :whistle:

The case appears to be of the same type used by GB for many of their clocks and should work OK if your pendulum rod is 66 cm and will fit in the case. I agree with Scottie that the weight of the bob shouldn't stop the clock; assuming the movement is cleaned and properly lubricated I would look for some other cause such as being out of beat or lock and drop not set correctly or too much slack where the crutch pin fits into the slot in the pendulum rod. 3-pound weights should work as Scottie points out.

Based on the serial number and logos your movement was made in late 1904 at the GB Freiburg, Silesia factory. Keep us posted on your progress with putting all this together, I think it will be a very presentable clock when finished.

Last edited:

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The pendulum is 12 CM from the tip of the pendulum bob's shaft to where the pendulum hooks into its leader. This measurement excludes the leader and suspension spring.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
That's what happens when I look at this stuff half-awake. :emoji_snail:

Looking at the photos again it doesn't look like a clear stamp. Are you sure that isn't just a mis-stamped 'P42', measuring from leader tip to end of pendulum?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
That's what happens when I look at this stuff half-awake. :emoji_snail:

Looking at the photos again it doesn't look like a clear stamp. Are you sure that isn't just a mis-stamped 'P42', measuring from leader tip to end of pendulum?
To me the stamp looks like P42.

JTD

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReyes11
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.