Gustav Becker or Junghans?

C

Christopher Isaac

Please help me ID this clock! 99.jpg

C

Christopher Isaac

I can't see the movement yet. I know the clock's got a gloria gong if that helps.

L

lonnyl

OK... I'm confused... didn't you just fix the movement?

old ref::http://nawcc-mb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5746044581/m/6531044642

Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2003
N.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Case looks to be home made. We need a pix of the movement. Just a suggestion, you should resize the pix to 640 X 480 to post them, your picture is off the screen.

Tom

“Sometimes you really don’t know if your being rewarded or punished”

C

Christopher Isaac

Oops sorry, well it may not be Junghans or Becker, but this clock is very similar, note this clock is almost the same. http://debale.home.comcast.net/gustav.htm same dial, hands, pendulum, other similar features. I dont actually have the clock yet, i want to purchase it. Although the clock I want has a large Gloria gong, this one here claims to have 4 strike bars i believe!

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
This appears to be a German clock of the style made by numerous manufactuers, the clock gong is spiral, I don't know how it can have four strike bars also.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

C

Christopher Isaac

What's this clock worth? No it does not have 4 strike bars, but one very similar does. Just the one gong, labelled GLORIA. I have yet to see the movement, was hoping for a GB, but it isn't likely at all (without the strike bars)

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Originally posted by Klossee:
Case looks to be home made. We need a pix of the movement. Just a suggestion, you should resize the pix to 640 X 480 to post them, your picture is off the screen.
Actually the case, & the whole clock, looks similar to one I've got on the bench right now. It's been tentatively identified as an early 20th c. Mauthe. What does the ebay description of this one say?

bangster

Last edited by a moderator:

SSWood

Sep 27, 2004
I have a clock in an identical case, and similar dial, but not as good condition. It is a DUFA, with Westminster chime, the going train supplying the motive power for the chime - takes a longish spring, that is quite powerful .. interesting movement, but not one of my favourites.. A ****** to set up the chimes, so they sound reasonable.

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
What's this clock worth?

Greetings,

Sorry, but message board rules do not allow discussion of values.

Regards,

Richard T.

C

Christopher Isaac

Originally posted by Richard T.:
What's this clock worth?

Greetings,

Sorry, but message board rules do not allow discussion of values.

Regards,

Richard T.
SORRY! I'm new to this site, i was just wondering so I know how much I should be paying for it, doesn't matter, anyway best not talk about my boring clock, will update you when I have received it haha.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Since there isn't any ID on the dial, the "only" way to tell who was the maker is to see the back plate of the movement . . even then it may not be possible.

John Hubby

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
German firms liked to name their gongs. "Gloriagong" was one of VFU/Gustav Becker's. They show up in Tran Duy Ly's GB volume, Kochmann's, and so on. Regards, Duck

C

Christopher Isaac

Turns out my clock from ebay at only £16, it's a working Gustav Becker clock! I'm trying to find out the year it was made, the movement, has the GB logo with Silesia written underneath, also on the side of the back plate it says 'p42 with a H under' I'm sp pleased with this clock! 100.jpg

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Chris, I presume the GB logo is the traditional anchor with crown and GB initials. Is there by chance a letter at the right side of the back plate? Or a serial number underneath the GB anchor?

From the photo of the front I agree with Sooth that your clock is probably 1920's give or take. A photo of the back of the movement would help a whole bunch!!

John Hubby

C

Christopher Isaac

Has the GB initials logo with Silesia written underneath, also the back plate it says 'p42 with a H under' I Know p42 means 42CM pendulum i think? what does H mean? I think it's 1921, but I am not expert at dating clocks. I need some cleaning solution before I can dismantle the works. Is it suppose to sound so dim? The strike, the gong sounds so low, low pitched you cant hardly hear it, not as pleasant sound! so dull! Here is a video I uploaded of the strike, is this normal? http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j151/sodaclublad/?act...rent=30062006205.flv

here is the back plate, 101.jpg

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Chris, I have the same movement and gong in a mini-Vienna style case. To get a better tone out of the gong, adjust the hammer rod to keep the hammer about 1/8 inch above the gong at rest.
Trial and error adjustment with your case. And make sure nothing touches the gong.
Harold

C

Christopher Isaac

yes thanks i have tried it all, i just think its a bad sound in general. there is a screw at the back outside the case it holds the gong in one place i think, anyway i have even turned the hammer upside down to have the metal side hitting the gong, thats obviously a much brighter sound, but the gong just sounds awful! i have to say a cheaply made korean clocks gong sounds better!

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Perhaps a small crack, or unseen defect, in the gong? I have an old English clock, the bell clanked like a cowbell. Upon the closest inspection, nothing. I finally bought an antique bell of the same maeasurements, on ebay from a seller in the UK. Now it's just fine.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
That's what it is Chris; CC. There is a defect - an unapparent flaw that is causing it to not ring or resonate. You'll be looking for another if you want it to sound as it should.

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Chris, thanks for the movement photo.

I'm still researching to find out what the "H" means. This letter is marked on all of the inexpensive GB movements I have seen that were made starting about 1910 and onward, both in the Freiburg and Braunau factories. Virtually none of these movements have serial numbers. One thing I can say for sure, however, is that your clock was made before 1926 before Junghans took over the GB operations, from the case, dial, and pendulum style I would say between 1919 and 1925. The basis for this is that your clock has the GB logo that was used only by the Braunau factory on these inexpensive movements (the GB anchor with the word "SILESIA" underneath), and when Junghans took over in early 1926 they did not include the Braunau factory. I understand clock manufacturing was continued but not using the GB logos, name, or designs.

Here are some characteristics of the inexpensive movements from the two factories:

Freiburg____Braunau____Comments
Has "H"..____Has "H"..____Both are on left side of plate
Has Pxx.____Has Pxx..____Different basis used between Freiburg and Braunau. See comment below
GB Anchor___GB Anchor____Freiburg clocks have only the Anchor, no name. Braunau clocks use "SILESIA"
"only"..._____w/SILESIA
Letter Rt____No Letter____Many Freiburg clocks have a letter (K, M, O, etc) at rt. mvmt edge, Braunau not.

COMMENTS RE PENDULUM LENGTH MARKS:
Freiburg pendulum length marks recorded to date:
P14, P18, P42, P54, P64, P65, P65.5, P66.5, P112

Braunau pendulum length marks recorded to date:
P20, P27, P32, P42, P48

The Freiburg marks, without exception, have checked out to be within one centimeter of actual pendulum length measured from the center of the bob to the center of the suspension spring. The Braunau marks, on the contrary, appear to be something between centimeters and inches. For example, Braunau clocks with the P20 mark have pendulums about 16 inches long, and P42 about 34 inches long.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Also, some of the Freiburg clocks made after about 1930 appear to have a date stamp on the back plates. So far I've recorded only five, but the photos seen on eBay where these were found leave a lot to be desired. The marks appear to read YY MM. An example showing 35 10 (October 1935) stamped at the lower right corner of the movement is here:
139.jpg

If these "are" dates, then I've got examples from 1931 to 1939. Any pointers to others will be much appreciated, contact me off-list at pastimes@juno.com.

John Hubby

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
John --
Would you please put up your last posting above (the one that begins "I'm still researching to find out what the "H" means.") as a separate Clocks MB query? This research is most important, and more MBers might take note when it has its own listing. Regards, Duck

C

Christopher Isaac

If anyone has dim gong I'd definately recomend burning the gong with a cigarette lighter and also the hammerhead for a few seconds... totally helped, how it sounds bright. thanks jc!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cspeed8
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff