• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Gustav Becker model identification

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
Hi. I bring this Gustav Becker found in South America.
I have not seen this model on the internet. I estimate it is 20s or 30s.
The box is quite poorly treated, many layers of varnish, woodworm, and moisture that have raised the veneer.
I will gradually show progress in restoration.
It seems that two hammers and two rods are missing in the strike. The rest is complete although with years of disuse.
If anyone has images of the clock in original condition I am very grateful.
Thank you.

_DSC2762.JPG
_DSC2763.JPG
_DSC2764.JPG
_DSC2766.JPG

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The gong block should have a name on it, denoting which type of strike it has. VFU/Gustav Becker had several named gongs and configurations which varied over the years, they were one of the most dedicated companies when it came to gong engineering. DRP 177600 was granted in 1906 and refers to a silent rack strike setup so your clock does not predate that year. The usage of a rod gong block would push it back to no earlier than 1907 when VFU/Gustav Becker began developing its improved rod gong designs.

Reactions: CCInet

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
The gong block should have a name on it, denoting which type of strike it has. VFU/Gustav Becker had several named gongs and configurations which varied over the years, they were one of the most dedicated companies when it came to gong engineering. DRP 177600 was granted in 1906 and refers to a silent rack strike setup so your clock does not predate that year. The usage of a rod gong block would push it back to no earlier than 1907 when VFU/Gustav Becker began developing its improved rod gong designs.
Two rods and two hammers missing?

_DSC2767.JPG
_DSC2768.JPG

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The 3/4 Symphonie Gong, sometimes known as Symphony Harfen-Gong, bim-bam strikes on the quarter hours and on the top of the hour, counts out the hours. There should be 7 rods and hammers on your clock, so some are missing. A larger version of the same setup with 8 hammers and rods is shown here, noting the different gong casting pattern:

GB Symphonie Gong Gen 1.jpg

Reactions: CCInet
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beaubrummel
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.