Gustav Becker, Long case, 3 weight, round top grandfather clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by lorbiecki, Sep 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lorbiecki

lorbiecki New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    My father was stationed as a MASH dentist in Nuremberg, Germany from 1957 to 1960. Shortly after my birth, my mother and I joined him there in 1957. To celebrate the arrival of his first child, my father purchased a grandfather clock from a local family on the condition that he keep it in good running condition and, should he ever part with it, it goes to another good home. After sixty years, and several moves even after returning to Minnesota, my father and mother have moved to a small condominium and I have received the long-promised clock. This clock has been treasured by my family and we have it running well now in Seattle.

In the course of putting it back together from its shipped state of disassembly and packing, I thought I would take a very good look at it. On the back, I found the Gustav Becker Crown over the Anchor mark. Also, there was the P112 specifying the pendulum length and a "O" or "0". From what I gather, because there is no evident serial number, this is a later Becker. The clock is a long case grandfather clock with a round top case. The face has black twenty four hour markings on the outside of the larger black Arabic numbers on a brass face with a narrow interior ring of bas relief flowers matching the bob. There are three cylindrical weights with rounded top and bottoms. It has a Westminster chime. The wooden case is honey-colored and very simple; an inverted elongate U-shaped arch, extending around the bezel and weight windows, resting on a rectangular base. Other than the edge molding, there are no other wooden ornaments on the case. A face bezel and a window displaying the weights and pendulum are the only two glass portals in the case. I will take and post pictures of the clock, the bob and weights, and the case and mechanism to share with you. Immediately, though, I see an additional mark on the back alongside the pendulum length. It appears to be after-added but I do not know. I took a picture and am posting it now to ask you all if any recognize it. I love this clock and want to know what I can learn about it. I am very grateful for any help you can offer.

Thank you

2. lorbiecki

lorbiecki New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I had promised to add photos of the clock itself. I took some yesterday but the sun was too low and the shadows are pronounced. Nonetheless, I thought some might be interested in the actual appearance of the clock.