• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Gustav Becker / Junghans P64 missing chime train spring

ChimeTime

NAWCC Member
May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
I have a GB (that's on the face) weight driven clock, and the movement is marked Junghans P64. Anyway, on the left side is a lever that operates the strike lever, and that lever is missing a flat spring. I need to know what that flat spring looks like and how it interacts with the steel multi-faceted part that's between the plates. A photo of the location and the multi-sided part is attached. A flat spring came with the movement, but I can't be sure it fits in that location. I looks to be too long.

chime2.jpg
Spring.jpg

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I don't see a place where the spring would attach. Is it to keep the lever in place, or to keep it in contact with the star/strike wheel? A couple of pics from different angles might help.

ChimeTime

NAWCC Member
May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
I don't see a place where the spring would attach. Is it to keep the lever in place, or to keep it in contact with the star/strike wheel? A couple of pics from different angles might help.
The spring attach point seems to be directly below the pivot position. If I assume the spring is correct, I don't know if it lays to the left or to the right of the oddly shaped block. If it is laid to the right (inside) of the part (which makes the most sense) it interferes with the gear just beyond because it's too long for that location.

But, I'm not sure I have the correct spring, even though the spring I have can be correctly secured at the described location.

I just received this clock. The seller told me the "strike has not worked for years". I've never heard or seen the strike operate, and this is my first Becker. So, I'm not even sure what function the spring serves. Is it to lift the hammer after the strike, OR is it to apply pressure to the hammer to make the strike more pronounced ? (This is a simple hour count wire gong, not a melody chime.)

Any help highly appreciated. More photos to follow.

ChimeTime

NAWCC Member
May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Observing the scrape marks on the spring it was evident that assembly on the interior of the movement, was not the way the spring had been previously mounted. So, I had to eliminate what appeared to be the most logical way. When the spring was assembled to the exterior, a tiny spur that had not been previously observed came out and interacted with the spring at the scraped area. Although I'm still not sure what function the spring provides, the base issue with the strike mechanism revealed itself and now the clock will happily strike the hour.

So all's well that ends well. The adventure continues.

IMG_20210712_121050571.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent