• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Gustav Becker Grandmother clock with issues

Devillish1

Dec 30, 2020
Country
Hi I wonder if anyone at all could help me please? I have got a Gustav Becker grandmother clock that works well and keeps good time but will not strike or chime when the lever is positioned for the Whittington chime.

When the lever is positioned for the Westminster chime the clock stops at 7 minutes to 2 so i don't use that setting and it also never chimes or strikes on that setting either.
Today we tried to get the striker and chimes to work but the clock will strike 13 and then the next hour it will strike 8 or 2 or 3 anything but the correct time. It will not chime on the 1/4 1/2 hour either and if you move the lever over to the Westminster chime and i press the lever to manually start the chime it starts to chime and then stops leaving the strikers in mid strike and do not return to their rightful position.

This clock worked perfectly in every way until it was moved. It was cleaned and serviced just before it was moved so whatever has gone wrong may have been when it was moved but any help to hear those wonderful chimes again would be wonderful.

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
We will need to see pictures of the movement in your clock to better help you. (Pictures of the front of the movement would be the best!) Sounds like a control cam or lever could have been jarred during shipping, potentially causing some of the issues you're experiencing.

This would also do better in the Clock Repair forum.

Devillish1

Dec 30, 2020
Country
We will need to see pictures of the movement in your clock to better help you. (Pictures of the front of the movement would be the best!) Sounds like a control cam or lever could have been jarred during shipping, potentially causing some of the issues you're experiencing.

Thank you very much.
i will take some pictures and attach them but i will also
add them to the forum as you suggested.

Devillish1

Dec 30, 2020
Country

Hope these pictures are of help in helping us rectify some of the issues with our clock. Thank you.
IMG_1669.JPG IMG-1663.jpg IMG-1665.jpg IMG-1666.jpg

Last edited:

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
There are three weights, weights which you would have removed when you moved the clock. The weights are probably not identical. Make certain that the heaviest weight hangs from the chain that powers the chimes (that is, the musical stuff.) Probably the lightest weight belongs on the strike chain, and the remaining weight on the time chain. Note that the weights may have been marked as to their position or function. In most--but not all--clocks, they're arranged (from left to right) Strike, Time, and Chime. That would but them in ascending order of heaviness from left to right.

If weight re-arrangement doesn't help then you have unfinished business with whoever serviced the clock last. It sounds like the chimes were never adjusted properly. Let us know what you find.

Mark Kinsler

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Did your repairman set this up for moving for you? I looks like he did, because your chime rods are all locked up for moving. You'll note that they are all being held in their full up position. Those locking bars are made for that very purpose. You just need to move them out of the way so the hammers can operate again. (Third picture)
I'm confused about your description though, because the clock should not chime or strike anything when it's locked up.

Devillish1

Dec 30, 2020
Country
Did your repairman set this up for moving for you? I looks like he did, because your chime rods are all locked up for moving. You'll note that they are all being held in their full up position. Those locking bars are made for that very purpose. You just need to move them out of the way so the hammers can operate again. (Third picture)
I'm confused about your description though, because the clock should not chime or strike anything when it's locked up.
Thank you for your response. The clock was moved a good distance and it has worked and kept good timing since it has been in our home but has worked just as a clock with no chiming or striking. We locked the chimes to take the clock out of its case to see if there was anything obvious that would stop the strike and chimes working correctly and to take the photos.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
OK. If possible, take a video from the front side as it tries to operate. Post to Youtube and link here. Also, a pic of the front from farther away would be helpful. There's a mystery lever there that I can't see clearly.

Devillish1

Dec 30, 2020
Country
There are three weights, weights which you would have removed when you moved the clock. The weights are probably not identical. Make certain that the heaviest weight hangs from the chain that powers the chimes (that is, the musical stuff.) Probably the lightest weight belongs on the strike chain, and the remaining weight on the time chain. Note that the weights may have been marked as to their position or function. In most--but not all--clocks, they're arranged (from left to right) Strike, Time, and Chime. That would but them in ascending order of heaviness from left to right.

If weight re-arrangement doesn't help then you have unfinished business with whoever serviced the clock last. It sounds like the chimes were never adjusted properly. Let us know what you find.

Mark Kinsler
Hi Mark,
Thank you for your comments. The clock was moved a considerable distance but has kept perfect time since being moved and the weights were numbered and red tape was put on the r/h weight and red tape was put on the corresponding side of the clock so we do know they are in the right position.
I am happy to use it just as a timepiece but if it chimed like it used to it would have been lovely.
Thank you

Devillish1

Dec 30, 2020
Country
OK. If possible, take a video from the front side as it tries to operate. Post to Youtube and link here. Also, a pic of the front from farther away would be helpful. There's a mystery lever there that I can't see clearly.
Thank you I will give it a go as i have never posted to Youtube but we have not put the clock back in its case but will not strike or chime automatically but will do both if you press the lever on the left to get it to manually strike and chime but it will not do it in any methodical order.

IMG-1670.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That lever on the right side, slightly hidden by the minute hand - what does that do? The U shape on the end of it is puzzling. Perhaps a chime stop lever? or does it interface with the front dial to change the tunes? It seems to be in an odd place.

Devillish1

Dec 30, 2020
Country
That lever on the right side, slightly hidden by the minute hand - what does that do? The U shape on the end of it is puzzling. Perhaps a chime stop lever? or does it interface with the front dial to change the tunes? It seems to be in an odd place.

It seems to slot into the back face of the clock and controls which chime plays on the clock or if you wish to have it on silent.

IMG-1672.jpg IMG-1671.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
OK. That makes sense.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Swann jr
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.