• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Gustav Becker factory in Warsaw 1888-1913?

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
Greetings all,

company Gustav Becker founded in 1888 assembly factories in Warsaw and in Braunau / Bohemia for export of clocks to Russia/Poland and to countries of the Danube monarchy . But while we have very good information about the development of the GB-company in Braunau, we know very little about the GB-operation in Warsaw:

The operation in Warsaw was founded in 1888 and employed about 150 workers in the early years. And we also know that the operation Warsaw still existed in the year 1913th. (May be, Warsaw was closed with the beginning of WW1.)

That's all.

Are there more information about the company Gustav Becker in warsaw?

- Are there any clocks catalogs from Warsaw in Russian or in Polish?
- Do we know Clocks that have been unequivocally produced in Warsaw?
- Have Clocks from Warsaw a unique serial number (similar to clocks from Braunau)
- What was the address of the factory in Warsaw and how long existed this factory?
- Do we have pictures of Warsaw-factory?
- Are there any further information about GB-operation in Warsaw?

Any information is welcome!

Albra

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
There seems to be no further information on the assembly plant of Gustav Becker in Warsaw. And obviously clocks from Warsaw were provided with the serial number from Freiburg and not with its own, which is why clocks from Warsaw can not be seen today.
Warsaw had also (unlike Braunau) never a factory of clocks cases, but was only an assembly operation: movements were assembled from prefabricated parts. Together with clocks cases made in Freiburg clocks from Warsaw were then the same clocks as in the Freiburg catalogs.

If there will be known further information on the assembly plant of Gustav Becker in Warsaw, I would appreciate a continuation of this thread.

Best Regards!

Albra

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Albra, thanks for posting your inquiry. I do not have any information regarding the Warsaw factory. It certainly is possible that finished movements (including a Freiburg serial number if appropriate to the type of movement) were shipped from Freiburg to Warsaw and the clocks assembled there with purchased cases and other parts. That would make it quite difficult to find and identify any GB Warsaw clock unless some kind of additional mark or stamp was added at that location. As of this time I don't recall seeing "unknown" markings on any GB movement or clock that has a "Freiburg" serial number.

However, i do have something to think about:

Quite a number of GB "Freiburg" clocks were made starting in 1888 and continuing to the end of 1900 with the GB logo stamp being only the circular GB Anchor with "Freiburg i. Schl.". These years are the only ones where I have documented this specific logo practice. The "Medaille d'Or" stamp is not found on any of these movements. ALL of these in my data are spring driven, and all but a few are wall clocks. There are some time-only, the large majority are time and strike with rack striking. In 1899 and 1900 there are some movements with external rear count wheel strike control.

I have just tonight had the idea to briefly check these clocks as I have been curious why GB would put their circular GB logo on these movements but not the Medaille d'Or. I will do some looking at the photos in my archive to see what I can find in comparison to other spring driven GB movements that have both the GB logo and Medaille d'Or.

tarant

NAWCC Member
Jul 6, 2008
Wroclaw
Country
Region
I've never seen any article, advertisement or GB clock that could be produced in Warsaw.
From my archive: photos of office (telegraph company?) GB from Russia, made before 1888, about 1886. On the dial: N. Woroncow, Sankt Petersburg. Hands are not original IMO, from Junghans?

Attachments

Feather

Jan 18, 2016
St. Petersburg
Country
There was an inquiry 5 years ago on Russian MB regarding the clock made under the name of Wacław Babczyński. Although the movement was not shown, there was a guess that it belonged to GB. Only these pix are available:
x_69b445b3.jpg x_0516f2b5.jpg x_34302924.jpg x_f93c6f57.jpg
I do not think that to be exactly what you are looking for, but who knows? At least this guy was from Warsaw and time frame fits.
Regards,
Nikolay

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
Piotr, thank you for your efforts!

It is a pity that we have very little information about assemblers in Warsaw , because we know that several German clock manufacturers had assembly plants in Warsaw: Just to name a few: HAU, Baduf, Fortwängler, G. Becker. And only by one single factory, we so far know the address in Warsaw.

But Gustav Becker might have been in Warsaw with 150 workers, the largest of these assembly factories.

And the reason for these Warschau factories is clear: Without mounting on Russian territory clocks were no longer salable in Russia because of the high duties.

Piotr, I agree with you: It is very remarkable that we find almost no records of all these Warsaw clock assemblers! What a pity!

Albra

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
There was an inquiry 5 years ago on Russian MB regarding the clock made under the name of Wacław Babczyński. Although the movement was not shown, there was a guess that it belonged to GB. Only these pix are available:
274822.jpg
I do not think that to be exactly what you are looking for, but who knows? At least this guy was from Warsaw and time frame fits.
Regards,
Nikolay
Nikolay, thank you for posting this interesting clock, but the name on the dial is most likely the name of a retailer shop in Warsaw. And I am not very familar with all the different GF-movements and cases, but may be, this is really a GB-clock. What a pity, that we don't have pics of the movement!

Thank you for sharing this clock!

Albra

Last edited by a moderator:

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
Albra, thanks for posting your inquiry. I do not have any information regarding the Warsaw factory. (-)

However, i do have something to think about:

Quite a number of GB "Freiburg" clocks were made starting in 1888 and continuing to the end of 1900 with the GB logo stamp being only the circular GB Anchor with "Freiburg i. Schl.". These years are the only ones where I have documented this specific logo practice. The "Medaille d'Or" stamp is not found on any of these movements. ALL of these in my data are spring driven, and all but a few are wall clocks. There are some time-only, the large majority are time and strike with rack striking. In 1899 and 1900 there are some movements with external rear count wheel strike control.

I have just tonight had the idea to briefly check these clocks as I have been curious why GB would put their circular GB logo on these movements but not the Medaille d'Or. I will do some looking at the photos in my archive to see what I can find in comparison to other spring driven GB movements that have both the GB logo and Medaille d'Or.

Greetings John and thank you for your studies and observations on GB-clocks. May be your observations on GB-clocks without Medaille d.or will be helpfull!

Could you please post all serial numbers of GB-movements without a stamp of medaille d`or? I hope, there will be a system in the serial number of these clocks!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards Albra!

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
I've never seen any article, advertisement or GB clock that could be produced in Warsaw.
Piotr, we should also consider the possibility that the assembling factories in Warsaw were not registered in the name of the parent company, but the name of a Russian or Polish businessman. Because Junghans and G.Becker assemblers in Vienna also had not been registered to the parent company, but in the mames of Austrian businesmen.

Albra

tarant

NAWCC Member
Jul 6, 2008
Wroclaw
Country
Region
In 1992 Ryszard Głębocki published monography "Zegarmistrzowie warszawscy XIX wieku": "Warsaw Clockmakers in the XIX century" Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN , Warszawa ISBN 83-01-1027-4.
First large clock manufactories were founded in 90'. In 1890 "all clocks" manufactory Bernard Poznański & Co and Israel Aningstein watches manufactory, 1891- Gebruder Fortwangler alarm clocks manufactory, 1895 - A. Długacz manufactory (watchaes, alarm clocks, regulators). Maybe some of them had "unofficial" cooperatioon with Becker. But in this and other publications I havent found anyhing about GB clocks assembly in Warsaw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mishellmcgee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-