Gustav Becker clearance

CameraGuy32

Apr 12, 2019
Country
Region
Just took in (2) Gustov Becker clocks produced around 1885 for service. Nice thick plates with no wear. Customer picked them up at an estate sale for $75.00 - for both.
I've noticed that When I hang them to work on, if they are plumb and straight, the pendulums rub on the back and gong rod. I have to pull the top out almost 1 inch to get clearance for the pendulum to swing. Is this a regular thing with these clocks?
Steve

Gustov.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The movement might be slid in to far. If not, might be the wrong pendulum. The pendulum doesn't look right on the clock to the left.

Where are you placing the level. Front glass or backboard would be good.

Willie X

Last edited:

CameraGuy32

Apr 12, 2019
Country
Region
The movement might be slid in to far. If not, might be the wrong pendulum. The pendulum doesn't look right on the clock to the left.

Where are you placing the level. Front glass or backboard would be good.

Willie X
The bracket that holds the movement and pendulum are mounted to the backboard. Pin on the leader fits into the pendulum. There is no adjustment. I've never seen anything like this.

GB1.jpg

GB2.jpg

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
It could be the crutch is pushing the pendulum back into the case a bit, try to get it more parellel with the back plate of the movement.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
The bracket that holds the movement and pendulum are mounted to the backboard. Pin on the leader fits into the pendulum. There is no adjustment. I've never seen anything like this.

View attachment 651872

View attachment 651873
There is no leader on Vienna weight clocks. The pendulum is mounted on the back of the case and the crutch pin goes in the slot on the pendulum. So yours is right. The crutch on yours is bent out away from the back of the movement and should hang parallel to the back plate like Jimmy said. Then the pendulum will not rub.most Vienna pendulums are just a wooden rod like the one on the right. That brass rack has been added. Not necessary.

Last edited:

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Your customer did very well. I know the price of clocks has gone down but $75 the pair? This is getting ridiculous!

CameraGuy32

Apr 12, 2019
Country
Region
There is no leader on Vienna weight clocks. The pendulum is mounted on the back of the case and the crutch pin goes in the slot on the pendulum. So yours is right. The crutch on yours is bent out away from the back of the movement and should hand parallel to the back plate like Jimmy said. Then the pendulum will not rub.most Vienna pendulums are just a sodden rod like the one on the right. That brass rack has been added. Not necessary.
Interesting. Thanks, Will. I'll try to slightly bring the pin back to parallel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre