Gustav Becker chiming issue

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
The key to the problem here is the two cupped washers. Two cupped washers were needed because there was too much space between the minute hand and the taper pin hole. That's because this assembly very probably had a spring tension washer UNDER the minute cannon that uplifted the minute hand and reduced that space. It no longer has such a spring. Someone smashed the minute cannon to make it a friction fit to the center shaft.That's why it turned so hard before cleaning and now two washers are needed to close that space. After cleaning, etc. the friction was lost. Now there's no friction at eleven and it stops. The best repair here is to install a friction spring under the minute cannon, put those two cupped washers in your parts drawer and install minute hand properly with only ONE very thin washer. KaPeesh? Yeah. I gnu ya wood.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
To clarify what I just suggested, I offer a POOR example of the spring I described. The one pictured is too big, too thick, and doesn't rest on the shoulder of the centershaft. I show you for 1. The placement - directly under the minute cannon 2. The shape - like a little diamond shape bent into a small arc to tension the minute hand against the centershaft. I don't know that this is correct for your movement but from your description, the TWO washers - hand stops, etc. I believe this is the solution and will eliminate the two cupped washers.
215.gif
I make mine with a tinsnip using .014 mainspring from a novelty. THINNER would be better. After drillin and shaping, I re-temper it and VOILA!

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Isn't this fun? Now you have a new challenge albeit probably not insurmountable. When the clock stops regularly at a hand position and the cause is not blocked or inoperative striking, etc. I'd be looking for a clearance problem between the hour cannon and the minute hand. I suspect there is interference between them at "5". If there is, you may need to dress the hour cannon just a tad to provide clearance. It may however involve striking because it is no coincidence that warning occurs at 5 and 11!

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hi Craig-

As Scottie mentioned earlier, the cannon pinion has probably been closed to provide some tension to the minute hand. This process can throw the cannon pinion out of true especially if the cannon is punched on only one side. This can cause a jam between the cannon pinion and the minute wheel just as you describe and usually at the same time every hour.

The only tension that should be present on the cannon pinion is from the washer underneath. As Scottie says, it will be necessary to true up the tube of the cannon as well as open it a bit to remove the tension from the peening. I open the tube with a cutting broach but it can be done with a small drill bit.

You should also check to be sure the minute wheel has play after it has been installed...but not too much play. The minute bridge will often have some wiggle and it can be necessary to pull the bridge one direction while tightening in order to have the minute wheel mesh properly with the cannon pinion. Having it too close, or too far away, will exaggerate any run-out problems.

And, as Scottie mentions, warning in a chime clock occurs when the minute hand is around the 2, 5, 8, and 11 (5 and 11 on a striking clock). There is more demand on the time train to lift levers while pushing the pendulum. If the levers have wear spots or burrs, there may not be enough power to the time train to overcome the lever problems and push the pendulum (the clock stops).

Another place to look is the hour tube. These can sometimes be installed two different ways and have no markings for which direction is up. Check to be sure the cannon for the minute hand is in the exact center of the hour tube and that the center shaft (and cannon) stay centered as they rotate. If the cannon touches the inside of the hour tube you will have a power loss that could stop the clock. Try flipping the hour tube 180 deg. and, if that doesn't solve it, you will have to true the center shaft and/or hour tube.

Good luck with it!

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Now, do I understand correctly?: This pendulum locking problem you now describe: This is a new problem? This is a problem when you install the dial?

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Think about it Dr.: About the only thing I can imagine that could stop the clock by adding the dial is that the hour cannon is striking the dial's center hole. The dial can't touch - come close - to anything else.
On the tension problem - if the tension spring cause too much tension then weaken the spring. Un-dish it a little. You don't need much tension - only enough to drive the hand.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
"Hands pushed out": Are you certain BOTH hands move forward? I can forsee the hour cannon moving forward. Most can do that until they are either run into the saddle of the motionworks aux wheel or runs into the minute hand - whichever comes first. NOW: With the dial off and the clock running: Study the motion works as you gently pull forward or upward on the hour cannon. Is it getting trapped? Is it losing mesh? Study the FAILED condition. Now you'll know WHY it's stopping and all that remains is how to address the problem to eliminate it - a logical approach. Can ya do that? I knew ya could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmitry Mor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry