Gustav Becker Case with Junghan movement 104 1/2

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by dalesr, Jul 6, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dalesr

dalesr Registered User

Jan 4, 2009
    New Jersey
    Country Flag:
    I bought a wall clock at a yard sale. I looked on the back of the case and written on this case was Gustav Becker Freiburg /Schl. So I assumed this was a Gustav Becker clock. To my surprise it had a Junghan 104 1/2 movement. I am trying to find out the approximate time when this clock was made and why it has a Gustav Becker case with a Junghan 104 1/2 movement. Attached are pictures of this clock after my restoration.

Attached Files:

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dalesr, to provide a complete analysis of your clock we will need to see good photos of the back of the movement (front if possible) and the movement support bracket and gong.

The Junghans movement may have a date stamp on it, that will help zero in when this was made and possibly why it appears to be a marriage although it may actually be all original.

3. dalesr

dalesr Registered User

Jan 4, 2009
    New Jersey
    Country Flag:
    John, I checked the back of the movement and the only thing written is 104 1/2. I attached three photos (back plate, gong and brackets, and front plate. Thanks for helping me with this. -Ray GustavBeckerBack.JPG GustavBeckerFrontView.jpg GustavBeckerGong.JPG

4. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ray, I'm afraid your clock is a marriage, the movement was implanted to the case later.
    See the surplus holes above the movement mounting bracket in the backboard?

5. dalesr

dalesr Registered User

Jan 4, 2009
    New Jersey
    Country Flag:
    I took the movement out of the case again and could not see the surplus holes you described. I did attach another picture of the mounting bracket that is clearer. Is it uncommon to have an original clock which has a Gustav case and a Junghan movement? GustavBeckerGong2.jpg

6. doebee

doebee New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Hi gang,

I know this is a pretty old thread, but Dalesr's movement is the same as one that I've just acquired: only stamped 104 1/2 (and Junghans w/ the 8 pnt. star). I'm pretty sure 104 1/2 is twice the number of pendulum cycles in one minute. So, is there a better way to refer to this movement - a name or number? Does "104 1/2" pin down the date of manufacture?

Thanks for the wonderful work on this forum.