Gustav Becker Auction Advice please

digitalblsphemy

Dec 15, 2020
Country
Gentlemen,
This clock is coming up for auction soon. It's not often one gets a shot at a Gustav Becker in this condition.
I may get priced out of this one anyway, but I would love some advice from the experts in the field.
thanks in advance

CaptureGB.JPG Gust Beck.JPG

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

What sort of information are you looking for, exactly? You are contemplating a nice Gustav Becker “freischwinger” (free-swinger) wall clock made around 1890. As you point out, it appears to be in good condition both mechanically and esthetically, it is nice to see all the finials are present. With regard to an estimate, it depends where you are based and on the auction house’s valuation, which could either be reasonable or simply too high. I would suggest $300-500 US, which does not seem an unreasonable figure to me. Is the clock catalogued as Becker? If it isn’t, you might well get it cheaper than that.

Regards.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Should the pendulum be a bit longer? The pointer is well above the marker at the bottom...seems like it should be more centered in the opening.

Kurt

digitalblsphemy

Dec 15, 2020
Country
That's what caught my eye, the pendulum length. It looks to short to my eye. They say it's original to the clock.
Yes, it's listed as a GB, "runs but needs work"..

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
That's what caught my eye, the pendulum length. It looks to short to my eye. They say it's original to the clock.
Yes, it's listed as a GB, "runs but needs work"..
I see nothing wrong with the pendulum length, it looks perfectly original to me.

Regards.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I am not sure about the lower part of the case, it looks like an add on to me, that would also add weight to the pendulum not centred in the opening, not up to GB standard I would think?

digitalblsphemy

Dec 15, 2020
Country
Yes, agreed. I let it go. It was too suspicious and to my untrained eye appeared to be a mismatch of components making up the whole. It went too cheap to be a GB.
Maybe next time...

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cona
Encyclopedia Pages