• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Gustav Becker 400 Day Disc Pendulum

Les Sanders

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2010
Sahuarita Arizona
Country
Region
I have not had one of these on my bench is a while. It has a .0033 suspension, seems to me it take a .004 or 0045? Nice condition the customer just wants it running and keeping time. How do you like my Goodwill Turn Table, its slick!

MVC-001L.JPG MVC-002L.JPG MVC-003L.JPG MVC-004L.JPG

whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
south carolina
Country
Region
Hello Les,
Your memory serves you well. My Beckers run well on .0004, but I have read on here of those that need a .0045 thinned to about a .0042 or so. Turn table was a useful find.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Les -

What's the serial number? That will help with the dating. I agree that 0.004 is the more typical size. What is the weight of the pendulum? Mine run in the 13-14 oz range. I notice that your pendulum is higher above the base than most. Being higher, it will run fast but then a thinner spring would help compensate for that.

Kurt

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
That makes it late 1904. I have several Beckers that are slightly before or after that date. The pendulums are essentially 14 oz plus or minus a few. 18 oz seems quite heavy which probably explains why the spring is so different. But I guess if it runs, it's good to go!!

Kurt

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Hi Les
Your G B pendulum is the spitting image of my G B and I had to thin an 0045 .
Dell

Les Sanders

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2010
Sahuarita Arizona
Country
Region
Thanks for the input I ran the clock for a couple of days quite slow but it seems to be good other wise.
I have thinned a few but if it was my clock I would just leave it alone.

Les Sanders

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2010
Sahuarita Arizona
Country
Region
Well the reason it won't run is the anchor pin has been glued in and is on the verge of falling out, I thought these Pins were screwed in, any thoughts?

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I don't think all are screwed in. Some I believe are just pressed in...chamfered end into a conical shaped hole. To date, I've never tried to even take one out...I did break one out of the anchor...a Master 400-day...I ended up gluing it back in.

I'm not sure on how brittle the anchor pins are. I've heard Becker's might be. I had a bent anchor pin on a recent per WWII Kundo and I seemed to get away with simple bending while supporting the base of the pin.

Kurt

Last edited:

Les Sanders

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2010
Sahuarita Arizona
Country
Region
Well all back together, both hands turn together Cannon spring hour pipe minute pipe al in place should not be doing this deal. Help