Gustav Becker 400 day clock timekeeping

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Weight Driven, Oct 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Weight Driven

Weight Driven Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    A few weeks ago at a garage sale I picked up a Gustav Becker 400 day clock with original disc pendulum. After cleaning movement, spring, etc. I installed a suspension spring I had on hand. It worked but was slow, very slow. I ordered the typical .0040 Horolovar spring and installed that one and now it is way too fast. I tried thinning the spring and maybe that will help but it is running real fast. The pendulum rotation is just barely 180 degrees and it is not fluttering, I have a beat amplifer. I've worked on these before and it seems to always be an issue for these to keep decent time, not even good time, at least for me. Up next is a Philip Hauck, I believe, 400 day, the one that has Anniversary stamped on the movement plate and dial with the arched brass top with what appears to be a sun rise with rays and has the smallish disc pendulum, not sure what to expect from that one. Any guidance with the Becker and upcoming Hauck would be greatly appreciated.

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would be helpful to see what you are working with just to make sure you don't have some obvious problem. Becker pendulums are lead filled but are often modified sometime along the way. Rotation is a function of escapement power and fork adjustment. Any lost motion there will reduce rotation. Beckers are notorious for loose anchor pins.

Eric