Gustav Becker 400 day clock, No: 2160319

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by ddMbb, May 27, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ddMbb

ddMbb Registered User

May 9, 2014
    Warrington, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 ddMbb, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Hello,

Here are some photos of a Gustav Becker 400 day I have.

No: 2160319 has also the same number on the bottom of the pendulum.

All looks original with exception of the fork which looks from a much later clock, but am leaving it as it is because it keeps perfect time.

Looking at the serial number and based on John's chart I estimate it was manufactured in 1911.

Cheers

Darius

p.s., sorry don't know why this thread has shown up here tried to put it under the right title in GB section, please feel free to move.

Attached Files:

2. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Gustav Becker 400 day clock, No: 2160139

Nice example.
    You're correct about the fork.
    Can you tell if the holes below the dial for attaching an embellishment are threaded.
    If so, it may have had one that has gone missing.
    For a date, I get mid-late July, 1910.

P.S. You've transposed a couple digits in the post title.

3. ddMbb

ddMbb Registered User

May 9, 2014
    Warrington, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hi Martin,
    Thanks for the reply.

if you are referring to the two finals on the plate either side the dial.... then yes the finals are threaded at the bottom and screw into a bigger screw that is slotted and that screws onto the post going down the center of the two column.

my apologies for the the typo in the title number, 139 should be 319 (am sure admin will correct it ... many thanks).
    I have had a long frustrating day trying to get a JUF to work :excited:without much success and that is spilling over to other things :( .

Cheers

Darius

4. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Darius. I was referring to the two small holes in the front plate immediately below the dial.
    Some of the clocks came with a decorative brass plate, in one of three styles, that went there.

5. ddMbb

ddMbb Registered User

May 9, 2014
    Warrington, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 ddMbb, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    Hi Martin,

Ok, now i understand what you are referring to, did not know that, thanks for the info.

cheers

Darius

6. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Darius, thanks for posting your "new" GB, if you did the clean and polish it really looks good. Except for the fork, your clock does appear to be complete and original. Good to see you have a matching serial number on the pendulum, that shows that it and the clock started life together.

No need to change the fork if it is running well. As Martin has mentioned, the manufacturing date is early 3rd quarter 1910 based on my most recent data update; I really do need to get the chart here on the MB updated as well.

Not to worry about where your post wound up. I'll move it to the Gustav Becker 400-Day thread shortly along with a few others that have been posted recently.

7. ddMbb

ddMbb Registered User

May 9, 2014
    Warrington, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the reply John,

I actually only cleaned the base and columns as the movement was relatively clean (but not polished) and as mentioned it is running so I don't want to disturb it, also it keeps excellent time, have had it running for two weeks and it hardly gained or lost a minute (touch wood) a fine example of good craftsmanship.

Just a note for those who come across this type of clock the base plate, that is plate immediately under the pendulum and has the columns going through is it NOT brass but brass plated metal. on mine a previous owner has had a go at polishing so there is some pinking here and there, I think they stopped when they saw what was happening :eek: but the rest of the base is mostly brass.
    The moral of the story is "always test with a magnate before reaching for the polish"

Cheers

Darius