Gustav Becker 2 -weight regulator questions

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
I found this thread very helpful but I cannot post to it. https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?108835-Gustav-Becker-Two-Weight-Movement-Tips

I recently acquired a GB 2-weight that was advertised as a repair / restore project. Fair enough, it wasn't that expensive. The case is in decent shape and will take a little gluing and cleaning but all the pieces are there. I will post more photos shortly. However, the seller said it was missing the strike hammer, and all else was intact.
GB plate.jpg

It is missing more than that I think. The strike side is not going to work without the star wheel / snail. Is there anything else that is obviously missing from what you can see. I can supply more photos if need be. It was missing a few pins (the plates were coming apart), why I don't know but I had some on hand. Secondly it came without a suspension spring. I checked Tmesavers and could not locate one. Without it I cannot check out the time side.

Question, can I locate a star wheel? And the correct suspension spring?

Ron

dAz57

Dec 7, 2011
sydney Australia
Country
Region
That's what he said, he is missing the star wheel and snail which is a single unit, the snail doesn't go on the hour wheel.

dAz57

Dec 7, 2011
sydney Australia
Country
Region
Basically you will have to make one, borrow a star wheel/snail from a working clock and copy it,

I would have pointed you at Smith & Smith for the suspension spring, but they closed down and bought out by the Australian Watch and Clock Suppliers who also bought out Seivers in 2014, try them, find their details here
http://www.wca.org.au/advertisers/

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
Basically you will have to make one, borrow a star wheel/snail from a working clock and copy it,

I would have pointed you at Smith & Smith for the suspension spring, but they closed down and bought out by the Australian Watch and Clock Suppliers who also bought out Seivers in 2014, try them, find their details here
http://www.wca.org.au/advertisers/
I followed the link and they do have an email address. I'll give them a try. Or a donor movement for the star snail.

The movement is a GB Braunau #307810.

Ron

Last edited:

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Thanks, I should be on the lookout for items like this. I take it then that the star wheel/snail would have been used in many clocks and would be a standard fit?

Ron
Ron, both your movement and the one posted by Teaclocks were made at the GB Braunau, Bohemia factory. Yours was made at the end of 1902 and the other one at the beginning of 1893 based on the serial numbers. From my archive photos it appears the movement design didn't have any significant changes over that period so the star/snail would likely work on your clock. When you are looking for another movement, however, it would have to be a GB movement made in Braunau; the design for movements made at Freiburg is different and not interchangeable. Good luck with your hunt!

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
Thanks John, some good advice. I'll patiently await till something turns up on EBay.

Regarding my search for a suspension spring Would #11044 (#7) suspension spring fit? It is 20 mm X 8 mm with 16.5 mm hole to pin or something smaller such as an 18 X 8?

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thequalityone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre