Gustav Becker 2 weight regulator problem

OzzyDave

Feb 21, 2007
Country
Region
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and if so did they find a remedy.

I have cleaned and serviced this clock. It runs perfectly fine without the dial on and with the minute hand attached so that I can monitor the time. But when I put the dial back on and attach both hands, it runs to about 5 mins to the hour and then stops. It strikes perfectly fine on the half hour. If, when it stops, I give the pendulum a swing when it stops, it invariable goes thru to the hour and strikes okay. Then, it will go around to 5 to the hour again and then stop. Very frustrating!

OzzyDave

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Check to be sure the seconds bit has good clearance so it's not rubbing against the dial. During warning, the clock takes more power, so if there's anything robbing it of power it won't be able to complete the warning lift. Also check the hands for the same thing.

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
I agree with bug. even if you don't have something interfering directly with the time train or hands, it is possible that the dial face flexes the front plate or something related when attached causing just a little too much friction. does your pendulum have good swing past the "tick" and "tock"?

have you tried experimenting with a little heavier weight to the train to see if that is enough to get it past this point? perhaps if you don't have a heavier weight, you can lay a heavy ring of some sort on top of the one you have.

OzzyDave

Feb 21, 2007
Country
Region
Thanks for the replies. I've just been reading Bangster's post entitled Evil Vienna Update and I think maybe I've got a ways to go to solving this problem. The pendulum seems to have some overswing and I have polished and smoothed all levers and pins as necessary. The star wheel is activated at about quarter to the hour so there is no simultaneous power needed at warning. As mentioned, the clock strikes the half hour fine and then stops at about 5 to the hour and just before the warning wheel should be released and locked by the lever. Also as mentioned before, if I restart the pendulum again it goes thru and strikes the hours okay.
So I'm guessing I have to re-look at my polished parts and check to see if anything is overly tight. One thing I have noticed is there is a small amount of sideways play of the lifting lever on its post. Perhaps this could be the problem. Not too sure on a remedy here apart from making up a new post.

OzzyDave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thequalityone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre