Gustav Becker 1906, 4 glass

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
Hello All,
I wanted to share a Gustav Becker I picked up a couple of months back. The anchor pin had been replaced by a steel taper pin which was too short ( even for a GB) and the anchor block was turned. A shout out to David Labounty. He fitted a replacement pin and straightened the block in record time.

The clock is now working properly. I cleaned the case up to the point I like them - not too new, not too old. It was nearly black.

Thanks for looking
Rt

F587D18C-6E0E-4AA3-8DD3-B54218CF9677.jpeg B1B22E63-F2F8-4BE8-858D-1AD679CC92A3.jpeg 672F19DE-6ACA-4896-BAEA-67B3E1719771.jpeg

Reactions: PatH

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
RT -

These clocks are always stunning with the glass and brass. Your clock dates to the later half of 1910 per John Hubby's numbering. I have a very similar clock but with more ornate hands. I also notice that the screw orientation on the back plate on yours is different than mine. Mine does not have the small hole that helps secure the click spring. Also the click is differently shaped. My clock dates to 1906. I don't remember if I've seen it anywhere, but it would appear that the click arrangement changed for GB between 1906 and 1910.

Kurt

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
Kurt
I agree, the brass cases give the clocks a lot of presence. I’ve wanted one for a long time. The only drawback I’ve found is getting to the movement to work on or adjust.

I suppose the dates are just appropriations. I bought the clock from John Hubby and used the date he provided. No worries. I’m happy to have the clock.

Thanks
Rt

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Rt -

John's list/post was last updated in 2014, so if you bought the clock before then, maybe he modified his numbering scheme since. I do notice that he edited the post in 2019 but don't know what type of changes he might have made.

I agree trying to adjust these in the case are hard. So far, my glass case clocks are in beat and all I've had to do is regulate the time with the key on the pendulum...even still hard to get two hands in there! I had a different clock that needed to come out for cleaning. I realized I wasn't going to be able to do any adjusting inside the case, so the forum's suggesting was to do all that outside the case. I had to rig up some what of holding it like it would be in the case. Once it was comfortable about the clock, I could then install in the case and begin with minor regulation.

Kurt

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
Kurt

I got the impression that John had owned the clock a long time before I bought it. He probably put the 1906 date on it sometime before he updated his list. I’ll change my notes to 1910.

I had to disassemble my clock and, like you, found it was easier to adjust it outside of the case. I used an old standard 400-day clock base to hold the movement for adjusting. I saw a four glass clock posted here the other day where the whole top of the case lifts off. That’d be a lot easier.

Thanks for looking.
Rt

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
srhuston