• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Gustav Becker 1895

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
A very fine example of a high-Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) clock, beautifully decorated.

Are you sure it is by Gustav [not Gustoff] Becker? I can't see any marks, but some of your photos are not very sharp, so I may have missed it.

The name on the gong (Lyra) has been the subject of some discussion. Schmid lists it as 'ungeklärt' (not identified).

JTD

Reactions: Nawcc123#

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
Thanks. I appreciate being corrected so nicely concerning Gustav. I will look for more details.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The name on the gong (Lyra) has been the subject of some discussion. Schmid lists it as 'ungeklärt' (not identified).
Interesting stuff, John. Apparently Mauthe had a Lyra Gong, though I'm not at all sure that the Lyra gong in Nawcc123#'s clock is the same or even related. See the following post (as well, as those that follow it).

Post your MAUTHE clocks here | NAWCC Forums

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
There is a number 546 on the back on the brass plate. I particularly like the scroll work on the pendulum, weights and dial. The cabinet work is also butiful. I did hear from another source that it is probably from Freiburg, Germany.
Is there any way to put an average value? It is working.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
it is probably from Freiburg, Germany
There were many makers from Freiburg.

You are asking for a value, but without knowing the maker, the value would only be based on its appeal a piece of furniture (decorative value).

We have folks who can identify unmarked German movements. Sometimes, they take a bit of time to check their databases. :)

Regards.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It would still be good if you could let us know how you determined that this is a Gustav Becker clock. It may be, but I would have expected to see the Becker logo.

Can you tell us how you reached this conclusion?

JTD

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
It would still be good if you could let us know how you determined that this is a Gustav Becker clock. It may be, but I would have expected to see the Becker logo.

JTD
I was told tat is was. I will look closer

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country

JTD
I was told tat is was. I will look closer
These last details may help establish that the movement is a Gustov Becker. The first attachment is of the top of the pendulum stick. The second is of the back of the dial. The third has the numbers 546 stamped into the back of the movements plate. Other than that I have guess work. Thanks again for your comments.

IMG_20211010_131849.jpg IMG_20211010_132427.jpg IMG_20211010_132548.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Thanks for the further photos.

1. It is hard to make out what this shows, the 'top of the pendulum stick' seems to be covered with some kind of heavy grease or paint. If it were cleaned off we might be able to tell more.

2. The date scratched onto the back of the dial is of no interest in establishing who made the clock. It was probably made by a repairer.

3. This number could be from any maker.

I am afraid that none of this helps to establish who made your clock. The only possible help might be from the pendulum hook, if you could clean it up so that it is visible.

Others may know more.

JTD

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
Thanks for the further photos.

1. It is hard to make out what this shows, the 'top of the pendulum stick' seems to be covered with some kind of heavy grease or paint. If it were cleaned off we might be able to tell more.

2. The date scratched onto the back of the dial is of no interest in establishing who made the clock. It was probably made by a repairer.

3. This number could be from any maker.

I am afraid that none of this helps to establish who made your clock. The only possible help might be from the pendulum hook, if you could clean it up so that it is visible.

Others may know more.

JTD
Thanks. I thought that I could see the Gustov Becker anchor? But it is not very clear.

IMG_20211010_131849.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heresolong
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-