Guidelines for repair: screws

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
Whenever you install a coarse threaded screw either into wood, sheet metal, plastic, or what have you; to prevent stripping out the hole, always turn the screw in reverse, like you're taking it out, till you feel it rise a little, then drops into place in the threads, then go ahead and tighten it down. This keeps you from cutting new threads into the material and eventually eating out the hole to where there is nothing for the threads to grab onto. It is one of the first things I learned years ago as a technician, and it still works for today. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to put a movement back into a case and have the threads of the mounting screws barely catch the wood, or not at all. Make it a habit, you won't be sorry...............doc

tymfxr

NAWCC Member
May 13, 2005
Country
Region
I wish people would do that with screw on bezels such as Chelsea ships clocks and the like.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Oh; I don't know. I've been scr - - - No - what I meant to say was, I've turned so many screws - I probably do it unconsciously (SHADDAPP BONG!). I mean, you can feel when the screw meets unnecessary resistance that if you continue - you're going to cross thread it if you continue or make new threads if it's in wood or plastic. Still a good tip. I probably do it without even thinking about it.
My other pet peeve ( like I have only 2) is when they gnar out the screw slot where the blade twisted out of the head. That's either sloppy use of the driver or an undressed screwdriver tip - or wrong sized tip - too thick sometimes.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
machv5
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions