Guadalupe California ST Street Clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by eskmill, Jun 25, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Many years ago I observed this Seth Thomas Street clock in one of California's most out-of-the-way towns, Guadalupe.

The clock stands in front of a jewelry store with no name. The proprietor, then very elderly, told me this clock and an identical clock in nearby Santa Maria was bought before the turn of the last century. When asked if the clock was for sale, his reply was "give me your card." "Everybody wants to buy it but they don't want to buy my watches." He showed me a cigar box full of business cards from passers by who wanted the clock.

The owner claimed that the two clocks were shipped "around the horn" to save shipping cost and that it cost more to have the clocks brought by train from San Francisco, 200 miles North, than the cost by ship from New York to San Francisco!

Attached Files:

2. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Single or Double Dial?

What does it say on the Crest?

3. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Good questions Kirk. I dug into my archives and found my 1998 notes.

The double face Seth Thomas clock has the name of the jeweler, H.Y. Katayama in neon across the top. I can only speculate that the two-faced clock was oriented toward the street because of the extreme width of the roadway.

The clock was purchased by the then (1998) present owner's parents in the 1920's.

Think about this: It is likely that the Katayama family was interned during WWII on account of their Japanese ancestry. Thus the business was either shuttered during the period or operated by a leasee. Few interned Japanese-Americans returned to their pre-WWII homes and businesses.

4. Jane (Honda ) Eckstein

Mar 5, 2009
    #4 Jane (Honda ) Eckstein, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    I am the grandaughter of Mr. Henry Katayama, the original owner of the clock and the store. He and my Grandmother , as well as my mother ran the store until they were interned. The store was closed and maintained by our friends who owned the bakery that use to be next door. After the war, my mother married Masami J. Honda. He ran the store and a store in neighboring Santa Maria . After My grandfather past away, my father ran the store until 2007. The clock was donated to the City of Guadalupe, by my brother and I.

Note: The clock was turned to its present position due to several mishaps with large trucks hitting it when they parked. Also, the store sign was the clock.
    Therefore, the store's name was " Katayama Jewelers", now closed.

5. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have some close up photos of this clock at home and will try to find them to post here this weekend.

The clock is not operational and, as of last year when I took the photos, was in very poor condition, at least externally.

RobertG

6. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are the photos I took of the clock in September of 2008.

RobertG

Attached Files:

7. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jane:

Welcome to the NAWCC message board, and thank you for the information on your family and their clock!

RobertG

8. BILL KAPP

BILL KAPP Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    Retired Law enforcement/Investor
    Arroyo Grande, Ca
    I visited the store a few times over the last decade and he told me that he was an Elgin trained repairman. He didn't do much work the last few years and there was very little for sale in the store.

I think he just liked getting out of the house and visiting with people who would come by the store either to admire the clock or chat with him.

There was a similar clock in Santa Maria on main street, but it had the movement taken out and electrified. I can't recall the store name but it is now in Orcutt Calif and they moved the clock there also.

happy hunting,

9. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jane:

I have sent you a PM.

Thank you.

RobertG

10. BILL KAPP

BILL KAPP Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    Retired Law enforcement/Investor
    Arroyo Grande, Ca
    Hi guys and gals,

Chapter 52 may get involved in restoring this beauty! http://williamkapp.tripod.com/id53.htm

Robt: Do you mind if we use your photo's on the website?

All: If we run into problems, are any of you close by and available for consultation and assistance?

Thanks and

happy hunting,