Equipment/Supplies GTE Watch Oil

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by James Foster, Aug 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. James Foster

James Foster Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    Clockmaker @ Your Time Clock Repair
    East TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am hoping someone might know the quality or specifically for what this oil might be suitable. Thanks for your help.

Jim

IMG_1184.JPG IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1187.JPG

2. Harvey Mintz

Harvey Mintz Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Male
    Software Engineer, retired
    South East Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess you could try it, but I suspect spindle oil might be a bit heavy for a watch. On the other hand, I don't know what spindles they are lubricating with it, so ...

3. James Foster

James Foster Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    Clockmaker @ Your Time Clock Repair
    East TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for trying. I was given a dozen bottles each which would be a couple dozen lifetimes supplies. Given the value of synthetic watch lubricant listed by wholesalers, I thought it would be worth asking here on the forum. I can’t find any info with Google searches of the spec. and the other numbers printed on the bottles in various combinations. I guess it will remain a mystery.

Jim

4. Harvey Mintz

Harvey Mintz Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Male
    Software Engineer, retired
    South East Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not sure, but I'm thinking it's lubricant for the movable parts of telephone switches - the switches made before the newer purely electronic switches had lots of moving parts.

5. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    At one time watch movements were incorporated into electical meters. I'm thinking of the Sangamo Electric Co which was the sister corporation of the Illinois Watch Co prior to the Hamilton takeover in 1928; Sangamo continued on for decades afterwards & may still be around. I've no idea for how long watch movement components were used for electical meters let alone whether there remain any still in use, but anyways the labelling of these bottles combined a reference to an electrical undertaking with watch oil so it got me thinking ...

6. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    I think Harvey is onto something. I think these oils are for servicing either the switches, or the (rotary) dial mechanisms inside telephones themselves. They use centrifugal governors, and while I can't get the internet to confirm it for me, something in my head tells me the spinning part was called the spindle.