Gruen Nat. WATCHCASE Co. (any Gruen experts here?)

Don Procko

Mar 7, 2001
Recently purchased an 0s 14k Hunter Case made by Gruen Nat W.C.C. (I assume the same Co as the watch?).It is typical of good quality fancy cases of the period.It has an early 1900s inscription so I can date it somewhat.It is an empty case that a dealer rescued from the melt pot. I would like to know if Gruen sold empty cases and to whom. Id like to put somthing appropriate into it.
Thanks!

Don Procko

Mar 7, 2001
Recently purchased an 0s 14k Hunter Case made by Gruen Nat W.C.C. (I assume the same Co as the watch?).It is typical of good quality fancy cases of the period.It has an early 1900s inscription so I can date it somewhat.It is an empty case that a dealer rescued from the melt pot. I would like to know if Gruen sold empty cases and to whom. Id like to put somthing appropriate into it.
Thanks!

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Don:

We're not ignoring you, its just that nobody is certain whether Gruen's cases were available separately.

According to pages 4 & 5 of "Gruen Watches, A Special Collection," American Watchmakers Institute, Cincinnati, OH, 1986, Gruen bought the Queen City Watch Case Co. of Cincinnati around 1900 and named it the Gruen National Watch Case Co. Insofar that other watch companies, such as Ball, had their cases available for purchase, Gruen probably did so as well. However, this is not like seeing Gruen literature (catalogs, ads, etc.) actually stating the fact.

You can check Paul Schliessser's Gruen Website to see if it has any indication of the availability of cases. Failing to find that, you can contact Paul and ask if he knows.

Good luck,
Kent

That guy down in Georgia :)

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
I've a chance to look up some Queen City Watch Case Mfg. Co. ads (see link below). From the appearance of the ads, it wasn't a very big operation. Maybe, after Gruen bought it, it only made cases for for Gruen.

*sigh* But then again, maybe not.

Good luck,
Kent

That guy down in Georgia :)

Don Procko

Mar 7, 2001
Kent,
Thanks so much for your help. I enjoied the Gruen Website you linked me to (I did leave an inquiry), as well as the ads you posted. Guess to be safe I will need to try and find A Gruen movement for the case.Don

rubeg

NAWCC Fellow
Apr 1, 2009
Houston
Country
I believe that Gruen cases were available for others to case their watches. I have seen both Elgin and Howard movements cased in gold Gruen cases. However I have not seen any literature indicating cases only for sale.
Hope this helps.

jack g

artbissell

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Boulder, CO Foothills
Region
Today I saw the 7th Gruen 0s hunter case. It has Illinois 17j mvt. most probably original. I have the only one of the 7 seen by me with a Gruen Aeby movnt. Which is very rare. I would never expect to find another Gruen factory 0s movement. Illinois or other U.S. or Swiss mvnt. would be appropriate.

1907 marked Gruen mvt. 0s hunter with 16s Gruen Aeby not so rare.

Attachments

artbissell

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Boulder, CO Foothills
Region
Today saw another 0 size hunter Gruen with Illinois movement. So now a total of 8, with 2 Illinois. Other movements were good grade Swiss probably supplied through Gruen but not from Biel or Madretsch located factories. So a suitable mvnt. would seem to be a 0s Ill. near 1907 age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akrampe64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff