Gruen Curvex Watch need help

ron3033

May 30, 2014
Country
Hello
I have my fathers Gruen Curvex watch. I dare not open it up to get info in the case but the paper with the watch case says this if I am reading the pen man ship correctly:
17j curvex student case #6774879 or it may be #6774B79 Dated: Dec. 21/48
^
I am going to try to attach photos, but my camera is not the best and super macros are harder to do.

I can not get any model numbers to match?

I can't get pictures to load? Every upload has red exclamation mark.

ron3033

May 30, 2014
Country
I will give it a whirl, probably because I set camera to macro.

ron3033

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Your watch should be case style number 440 499. This number was used for several models from at least 1942 until approximately 1950. The case number identifies the appropriate dial and hands, as well as the crystal to fit this case.

Other models in this series were the Curvex Adjutant and the Curvex Collegian. Yours is apparently the Curvex Student, although I've not seen it named in period advertising. Nice watch and a nice heirloom.

ron3033

May 30, 2014
Country
Thank You Cary, it does not run, but I was thinking of getting it serviced and giving it to my brother. Any thing special I should know for service?

thnks ron3033

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Yes! Stay away from the watch repair kiosk in the department store in your local shopping mall! You need to talk directly to someone who specializes in antique watches.

ron3033

May 30, 2014
Country
yes that is good advice.....we have 2 local places.... but there will be lots of questions asked.

Kyle Rogers

NAWCC Member
Sep 1, 2011
Your watch should be case style number 440 499. This number was used for several models from at least 1942 until approximately 1950. The case number identifies the appropriate dial and hands, as well as the crystal to fit this case.

Other models in this series were the Curvex Adjutant and the Curvex Collegian. Yours is apparently the Curvex Student, although I've not seen it named in period advertising. Nice watch and a nice heirloom.

Cary is dialed in as usual. It is a great watch. This is what I have on this watch:

Name: Curvex Sentinel
CSN: 440/499
EST start production: 1947
Retail cost with leather strap: $71.50

Curvex Sentinel.jpg

I am a bit confused about the Student reference on the warranty slip. I will look at it and reply later….

Kyle

Curvex Sentinel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle Rogers

NAWCC Member
Sep 1, 2011
I have looked it over. It is clear that the person writing the note wrote down "Curvex Student" as the name. Was he distracted when wrote it? Was it the name of this Curvex with a mesh metal band? I am not sure. This is the first time I have seen this watch referenced as the Curvex Student. A very cool twist. Hoping against odds --- do you by chance have the original receipt? I would love to know the cost of this watch.

Thank you,

Kyle

ron3033

May 30, 2014
Country
Thank you all any info would be wonderful By the way I have the gift box as well.

Thanks ron3033

Kyle Rogers

NAWCC Member
Sep 1, 2011
Hi,

The pics made it... I wasn't expecting this box. Was this box original to your father's watch?

Cary, what do you think the production year is of box is?

Also, quick question, was your father from Canada or the watch purchased in Canada? The paper work mentions Time Hill but references Gruen Watch Co of Canada only.

Very cool...thank you,

Kyle

ron3033

May 30, 2014
Country
Hi Kyle
Glad the pics were useful. The date on the paper says 1948, date of purchase I would assume. Yes I am from Canada, and he was in Canada then as well. I will see if the name points to a former local jewelry store at the time. I have to assume that is the original box too.

Ron

Gruen 4.jpg

ron3033

May 30, 2014
Country
Yes the jeweler was Alex H Darou, found out by internet search and asking an older person who remember the store as he grew up near by.

Kyle Rogers

NAWCC Member
Sep 1, 2011
That explains the name written on the Certificate of Quality. The U.S. name for the watch was the Curvex Sentinel and the Canadian name was the Curvex Student. I bet the written name on the Certificate is correct. I have found that the Canadian and U.S. names were different on other Curvexes as well. Thank you sharing all the documentation.

Fun to investigate,

Kyle

MINI

Sep 26, 2012
Country
I'm originally from Brantford, Ont and what little i can tell you is that the New Haven Clock Co did have a manufacturing facility down at 298 Murray Street (corner of Bruce St) in Brantford from around 1905 to the late 1950's. I just barely remember them....and its an empty lot now.

ron3033

May 30, 2014
Country
I'm originally from Brantford, Ont and what little i can tell you is that the New Haven Clock Co did have a manufacturing facility down at 298 Murray Street (corner of Bruce St) in Brantford from around 1905 to the late 1950's. I just barely remember them....and its an empty lot now.
Hey Mike Thank You I will add that to my info about New Haven clocks.

ron3033

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
April
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-