Gruen Caliber 513CA 25 Jewel

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Old Man 2011, Nov 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Old Man 2011

Old Man 2011 Registered User

Dec 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello, would someone please help me with this Gruen caliber watch. The stem falls out and I do not know how to repair it. It was a presentation watch from 1972. Thank you.

2. Barney Green

Barney Green Registered User

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Old Man 2011,

I do not know which caliber 513CA could be, I am only aware of a 512CA and a 518CA, but I have not seen them all yet.
    The 518CA would be a Gruen labeled AS2063 movement, also 25 jewel, so I assume it would be at least similar.
    If you open the back of the watch and put the watch with the crown facing away from you, you should be able to locate a tiny screw left of the stem.
    upload_2019-11-22_8-49-40.png
    Slot in the stem fully and fasten this screw with an appropriate screw driver. This should be it.

Barney

3. Barney Green

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just checked a closeup photo ot the 518CA which I own and had to find out that this movement does not have a screw at the described position but kind of a pushbutton. Need to have a closer look to the movement later the day to see how the stem can be tightened in this case.

4. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Some watches with the ETA 2824-2 automatic movement were sold under the Gruen name some years ago; don't remember when I got mine. Walmart had the watches for a few months. That movement is behind dials with many names on them.

5. Barney Green

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, I checked the movement. If the stem stays loose with an AS2063 I think the setting lever jumper is either broken or best case it is loose. Same would be if it is an AS 2066. But may be you are lucky and your movement has a detent screw and all is fine...
    In case of an AS206x movement you need to remove hands, dial, datewheel and probably some other parts to access the setting lever. A fresh one looks like this:
    upload_2019-11-22_21-19-2.png
    Best case the screw which sits in the upper whole of this photo is loose, or something is broken. You may get an idea of the movement if you take a look here:
    AS 2066 Winkelhebel Feder getauscht

Unfotunately German but the photos should give you an idea...

Barney

6. Old Man 2011

Dec 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Sorry but I forgot the photo. I am after all, an old man:emoji_thinking:

DSC09401.JPG DSC09409.JPG DSC09411.JPG DSC09412.JPG DSC09398.JPG

7. Old Man 2011

Dec 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    When I went to attach these photos, I notice that the stem is broken. Now I know why it falls outs! Now, how do I get the broken part out?
    Thanks for your help everyone.

8. Barney Green

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, looks like it IS an 518CA aka AS2063 movement. You need a pair of good tweezers to grab the stub and push the button next to the stem with another pair of tweezers or something else. While pushing the button, pull the rest of the stem out...

9. Old Man 2011

Dec 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Well. I am having a bad day. Yes, of course you are correct, it is a 518CA not a 513! I have tried to get this out but I have decided to take this to a jewelry store as they will probably have the tools. Thanks again
    everybody​
    for all your help.

10. Peter John

Peter John Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Watch and clock repair
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That sure looks like 513 in the photo. Not that it matters as far as the problem is concerned, the instructions are the same. Peter

11. Jack_W

Jack_W Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Geologist
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm curious about the LCBO marking on the dial.... as in the Liquor Control Board of Ontario?

Where did you get the watch?