Gruen "Airflight" jump hour watch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by chosenhandle, Sep 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. chosenhandle

chosenhandle I meant well
    NAWCC Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Male
    Minneapolis
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wanted to ask the experts if they can help me identify what I purchased. I picked up a Gruen "Airflight" jump hours watch that I need help with. First, can anyone tell me the reference number(s) or name for this or any Airflight? No one ever publishes the reference online. Secondly, every watch of this type that I have seen has been 35-36MM dia. and this one is 42mm. My watchmaker has looked it over and serviced it and tells me that it all appears correct. So, anyone have an idea of the story behind this unique piece?

gruen.jpg

2. chosenhandle

NAWCC Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Male
    Minneapolis
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I received a request for a demonstration of the jump hours. I did a quick youtube video for you.

3. gatorcpa

gatorcpa Registered User

May 7, 2007
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here is the response I posted in another forum:

Large Gruen Airflight - Page 2

In short, I read the original eBay listing. I have some issues with the way the seller presented that watch there and on YouTube.

gatorcpa

4. chosenhandle

NAWCC Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Male
    Minneapolis
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have learned to just about ignore the sales pitches with ebay etc. My own research of the watch/movement still showed that it was all Gruen and not a franken. It has proven to be a very unique watch in my collection and I receive a lot of compliments on it. I replied to your other points in the other forum.

Paul

5. MINI

MINI Registered User

Sep 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    You could touch base with the guys over at the Vintage Gruen forum. They have a number of members who are really knowledgeable about these vintage Gruens.