Great wheels in New Haven Clock Company clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by MtKuile, May 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MtKuile

MtKuile Registered User

May 12, 2010
    clockmaker
    East Sussex, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am restoring a New Haven Clock Company wall clock with a going and striking train. All the pinions in this clock are lantern pinions. I notice that both great wheels touch their respective lantern pinions on the next arbor in their trains in a wobble. The teeth of these great wheels, therefore, do not touch the lantern pinion's trundles in one place but sort of fan across them. I am wondering if this is a design feature to reduce the wear on the trundles or whether these great wheels have just warped over time?

I have a short video to go with it to explain the wobble better but cannot attach it as I think the zip file it is in is too large. But if you are interested I can email it to you.

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I think this will do better in the Clock Repair forum.

3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    email me the video to THT711@gmail.com and I will see if I can post it to YouTube and set a link in the thread

4. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds to me like the great wheels are a little bent, or not assembled perfectly true. This is not a precision clocks. A little runout on the lantern probably won't the operation.

RC

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That time side wheel is in pretty bad shape. It's going to need some attention minimally, and perhaps should be replaced.

6. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The whole movement looks a little sad besides the time main wheel. The hammer bent in that shape to hit the gong looks quite questionable, it really doesn't line up with the sweet spot on the gong, looks like the movement could have come out of a different case.